Dashboard for users without a site

Hello there,

Wish you all had a great weekend, and holiday!
I have a question about the dashboard for the users who do NOT have a site. When I test on my WPMU as a visitor, I found there are so many differences for the users who do have not a site, such as the customize button at admin bar, and they got nowhere to go or do with no dashboard. I notice that official wordpress.com does have a dashboard for users to browser the "posts", or something else to do.

Can we have the dashboard? Can we redirect the users to their dashboard after they log?

Many thanks!

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Michael,

Happy holidays :slight_smile:

Options available for logged in users depend on their user role, you can try customizing your admin menus by using plugin like this one https://wordpress.org/plugins/admin-menu-editor/

Users that have only user account can go to Dashboard > My Sites (/wp-admin/my-sites.php) and click on Add Site button there, or you can simply link them to yoursite.com/wp-signup.php where they can create new sub-site.

For custom login redirects that can be set for different roles you can try out this plugin:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/peters-login-redirect/

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Michael

Hello @Predrag,

Thanks very much for your reply. I hope the questions I have dont trouble your day.

Im sorry to say that I have another problem. The test user without a site do NOT have any permission, role on the main site. The test account couldnt go to the Dashboard (wp-admin/my-sites.php), say "You attempted to access the "Fandom of WordPress" dashboard, but you do not currently have privileges on this site."
    On the other hand, when the test user visit (wp-signup.php) when logged in, it redirects to the frontpage instead of the registration page for new site.

Finally, thanks very much for your recommendation of the plugins on wordpress.org.

Good day!
    Mic

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Mic,

What do you mean by "The test user without a site do NOT have any permission, role on the main site.", are you referring to site visitors or do test users actually have account registered?
    If they have accounts, were those accounts registered via main site or sub-site?

Is your site live so you could grant support access, I would be happy to have a look at this to understand better what's going on?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Michael

Hi @Predrag Dubajic,

Good day! Thanks very much for the consideration, and I really appreciated of your help so much for the problem we have. Unfortunately, I am only the baby beginner of php and js, not even start my own or amend any file yet.

Please kindly find the attachment as the plugins of all we have on the FTP for your information. I could see you guys are logged and checking the network. Right now, I will do some more tests by disabling everything and register some more users.

This was actually happened when I first install the wpmu. "Ninja" was the first user we created after my own, and the problem has been there already. I thought thats normal as default set. I added Ninja as the super admin on the official sites, and he had no roles at all on the other sites.

Many many thanks!

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the screenshot, I see that there's no mu-plugins folder in your wp-config folder which means you have no must use plugins that could be causing this.

One more thing I noticed while testing this on your site is that even if I don't create new site and only registred account on your main site I don't actually get any role for that site and now I'm even more confused :slight_smile:

Could you provide us with your FTP login details so we can check your installation?

You can send us your details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ and the template below:

IMPORTANT: Make sure you select "I have a different question" for your topic so it doesn't go back to forums - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Subject: "Attn: Predrag Dubajic"
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - login url
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Michael

Good day, and hope you had a good holiday!

I have already sent the information of the FTP and granted your permission as Network Admin. However, I found a user named "manuallyadded" with "Subscriber" on the main site, registered on 24th Dec. I believe its one of yours. Can I ask how you guys did this? How can you register a user with the role of "Subscriber"?
    Email of the user is "dubajicp+XXXXXX"
    Moreover, I have the exact situation about regustering without any role on another WPMU. Its a one site Demo WP with MU enabled. I registered a account without registering a new sub site. And same thing happened. Are you sure this is unusual?

Thanks!
    Michael

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Michael,

I have added that user manually from admin section to see if the membership is assigned in that case.

I was doing some further testings and still couldn't figure out differences between our two installations that could be causing such behaviour.
    So I have added a small mu-plugin on your site that will assign Subscriber role to new users that register a site and that should do it.

mu-plugins stand for "must use plugins" they don't need to be activated adding the .php file in wp-content/mu-plugins/ folder is enough.

You can now add that file to your other site and it should work there as well.

This is the code from that file:

<?php
    function ds_new_user_meta($blog_id, $user_id) {
    add_user_to_blog('1', $user_id, 'subscriber' );
    }
    add_action( 'wpmu_new_blog', 'ds_new_user_meta', 10, 2 );
    ?>

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Michael

Sorry for being late response. Wish you had a X'mas and a Happy New Year to you!

Thanks very much for your patience. It spent you 6 days to find the problem, and this is really appreciated. Its been fixed and working as we expected.

May I ask you a little more about the code? What if I want to the new users on the other 2 sites, say blog_id =2, 3?
    add_user_to_blog('1,2,3', $user_id, 'subscriber' );

On the other hand, we would like to add a function for the members to subscribe the other sites as a subscriber. Is there any recommend plugin? Right now, only the site admins could "add" a role to the users.

Many thanks!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Michael!

That's great to know that the issue is handled :slight_smile:

What if I want to the new users on the other 2 sites, say blog_id =2, 3?

To do this, you will want to call "add_user_to_blog()" function multiple times as it can take a single blog ID as a parameter only. This wold be the code for blog ID's 1,2 and 3:

<?php
    function ds_new_user_meta($blog_id, $user_id) {
    add_user_to_blog('1', $user_id, 'subscriber' );
    add_user_to_blog('2', $user_id, 'subscriber' );
    add_user_to_blog('3', $user_id, 'subscriber' );

}
    add_action( 'wpmu_new_blog', 'ds_new_user_meta', 10, 2 );
    ?>

we would like to add a function for the members to subscribe the other sites as a subscriber. Is there any recommend plugin? Right now, only the site admins could "add" a role to the users.

If I understand you correctly, a "Join My Multisite" plugin should help you with this. It includes a few features such as:

- sub-sites' admins can add users to their sites
    - there may be a separate registration page for each sub-site or a "join this site" widget button - those would allow members to signup as subscribers to those other sites.

Take a look here please:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/join-my-multisite/

I hope that helps!

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.