Dashboard Updates shows themes

I have installed the 133 theme pack.

On my dashboard under "updates" there are themes showing up. My guess is the theme modified by WPMUDev has no version number so the original theme designer is telling my install that there is an update. Is this the case? Do I need to blow these updates off since yours are modified to work with WPMS?

• drmike

I have installed the 133 theme pack.

Start off by uninstalling. Word to the wise, install things one at a time followed by testing. If something goes wrong, you'll never know what the cause is that way.

The themes in the pack are usually older themes. Many of the themes with newer versions that had issues with WPMu so an upgrade wasn't a good idea.

You can try upgrading though. I wouldn;t be doing so on a live site. I would be testing first on a testbed to make sure if the upgrade worked.

You may also want to disable those call homes. They will slow your site down since the software has to wait for wp.org to respond. Also some of us have issues with wp.org's privacy policies and previous lapses in such.

http://snipt.net/cafespain/remove-remotes-plus-nag

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

• SooBahkDo

Hello,

The themes in the pack are usually older themes. Many of the themes with newer versions that had issues with WPMu so an upgrade wasn't a good idea.

Does this mean that some of the themes in the 133 pack are not updated enough to be suitable for WP 3.04?

Also, my question is the same as honuware, just to clarify:

If we have a WPMU modified theme from the 133 pack installed and working (i.e. plug in and theme restrictions via supporter, etc.) and then the WP autoupdates nags for an update of that theme... If we allow the theme update to occur it will overwrite the WPMU modifications in the theme with the author's version of the theme?

As a result, someone using one of the WPMU modified themes who is correctly blocked from accessing certain themes or plugins could gain access to all of them if the WPMU modified theme is overwritten with the WP autoupdate version of the theme.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks,
    Phil D

• drmike

Does this mean that some of the themes in the 133 pack are not updated enough to be suitable for WP 3.04?

I believe the theme pack was updated for wordpress 3.0 when it first came out with the exception of the custom menu feature.

You don't want endusers making any modifications to any file on your install. It's too easy for them to install something that's going to break something and bring your site down. That's why i suggested using the "get rid of the nags" plugin up there.

Also considering that no one knows what the autoupdater is installing, even when it's coming from wp.org:

See point 1: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/wordpress-security-101-8-tips-tricks-and-tweaks-to-secure-your-wordpress-website/

Who knows what's going to be installed. One of the reasons why I go on and on about running a testbed, installing stuff there first, testing and making sure things work and then updating your live site.

Or to put it in drmikespeak:

I've got a needle. I'm going to inject it into your arm. And to you, that's fine. :slight_smile:

The main reason though is way back when all this mu stuff started, frameworks were just coming out and a lot of them weren't compatible with wpmu. Installing these newer themes with the newly added frameworks would break the mu installs. Therefore we had to keep things without the frameworks which meant the older versions. Consider it a fork basically.

Does that help?
    -drmike

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.