Dashboard Widgets Order Doesn't work

I have followed the instructions step by step but it doesn't seem to work. I found a 4 year old post that said to comment out line 52 but that line is already commented out so I tried line 51 but that didn't work either. I tried it with an old site and a new one created after the edits but no go.
Also the instructions aren't very clear on the file page itself it says:

// Change this if you update the widget order and want all users to have
// the new order instead of just new users.
// Note that this will overwrite the custom widget order users have
// configured.

It says "Change THIS" what exactly is "THIS" ?

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @Missterbig,

Following instructions that old are likely to be a bit off. When the plugin is updated, it's possible that many line numbers change. So it actually depends on the version.

You can just reorder them by following the usage instructions here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/dashboard-widget-order/#usage

It's as easy as moving the lines to the order you would like them to appear. If you don't want a particular widget to show up, you can comment out the line for that widget.

As for the "Change this" you're asking about, that refers to the order hash directly below it. If you modify that line at all, it will reset any customized order users may have done for themselves.

Hope this helps and clears things up!

Best regards,

• Missterbig
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Unfortunately that is not working as I have made further changes and it is not working again. I assume this is caching thing or something.

Anyway I will figure it out. do you know what the name of a custom widget that we create in 'Custom Dashboard Widget' is? I have tried a few variations of this but nothing is working...

$dashboard_widgets_order_right_column[] = 'dashboard_custom_content';

• Missterbig
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Ah I see what is happening here the line...

$dashboard_widgets_order_hash = 'm9c0u203b7u0338u10zxnm0q';

You must first UN-commented it (remove the // that you used on your first edit) then uploaded to your server. You then need to comment out the same line again (put those lines back //)...

//$dashboard_widgets_order_hash = 'm9c0u203b7u0338u10zxnm0q';

and re-upload it to your server. It works every time on my server anyway.

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @Missterbig,

I'm sorry about the delay here. This plugin will only reorder the default widgets. However, with some custom coding it should be possible to move the other one.

Are you using the custom widget from our Ultimate Branding plugin? Or is it one you created yourself? Just let me know how it's added, and I can check on the code for this.

Best regards,

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.