Database creating (Basic question)

Hi Guys,

My main database is : "web116-a-wor-99"

1.) Following instructions for db-tools/db_sql.php -
it says to put Underscore in the end "web116-a-wor-99_"
Is it necessary to put _ at the end of database ? Why ?

2.) Result is
CREATE DATABASE web116-a-wor-990 DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
CREATE DATABASE web116-a-wor-991 DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
CREATE DATABASE web116-a-wor-992 DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
CREATE DATABASE web116-a-wor-993 DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;

Whereas I cannot create such long databases due to hosting restrictions.
Can I create the rest 16 databases like :

web116-a-wor-99 (Main database)<br />
web116-jd_0,<br />
web116-jd_1,<br />
web116-jd_2,<br />
web116-jd_3...<br />
web116-jd_15

3.) I would love to create a long pdf documentation with FAQs by scanning your forms and referring topics stepwise, if that would get me an extension of premium membership here ":wink:"

• drmike

1) It's not. It's customary to include it though on servers with multiple users. That way a quick glance through any master list shows which databases belong to whom.

2) That's actually strange. You're actually only seeing part of the name. The server normally also adds on the user account name as well so it;s even longer. But MySQL should still allow for 256 characters in a database name. (edit: Come to think of it, I think it;s actually 252 characters, the dot as one and the three letter extension for the actual file name that is the database but you get what I;m getting at)

Who is your host? That's very strange to require such short database names. Do they do the same for tables within the database? (You'll run into a worse problem if they do.)

3) Any naming structure would be fine as you can tell how it works. I think we've got someone here with a 16 database setup with farm animal names....

Does that help?
    -drmike

reedit: I stand corrected. The database name can only be 64 characters in length. I guess that string is holding other data as well. Yours still seem to be rather short though. Your host isn't not using a shared database server where all of their clients across all of their servers use the same database?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.