Database Updating

These would appear to be bugs – at least the first two.

If I add a feed and then delete it – then add it again later – it will not work anymore.

More, if a feed is deleted the information isn’t removed from the autoblog table in the database.

Finally, when the plugin is uninstalled, the autoblog database table remains.

~ Corey

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya Corey,

If I add a feed and then delete it – then add it again later – it will not work anymore.

Was the feed processed not long before deleting and re-adding? If so, I suspect it’s just a case of Autoblog recognising that it’s already processed everything in that feed once…

More, if a feed is deleted the information isn’t removed from the autoblog table in the database.

Finally, when the plugin is uninstalled, the autoblog database table remains.

This is pretty common with any plugin. It’s generally much more frustrating on the whole to users when data is deleted by de-activation (i.e. during troubleshooting).

That said, some of our plugins do provide a data deletion option so I’ll pass that onto the developer as a feature request.

Cheers,

Phil

• NetPotion
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Was the feed processed not long before deleting and re-adding? If so, I suspect it’s just a case of Autoblog recognising that it’s already processed everything in that feed once…

No…that’s the thing. I also made sure that all posts were removed and cleared from the trash.

The database entries for any given feed remain – even after a feed has been deleted from the admin section. Deleting them from the database doesn’t help. I just don’t get it. It acts like it’s getting cached but I don’t even have a cache plugin installed.

This one is particularly frustrating. Data seems to be getting placed in the database somewhere that is breaking when a feed is deleted & restored.

This one should be very easy to replicate. I spent all day on it yesterday and the results were absolutely consistent.

Thanks for responding Phil!

~ Corey

P.S. – I didn’t receive email notification of your response as I usually would. May be a problem there.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

The database entries for any given feed remain – even after a feed has been deleted from the admin section. Deleting them from the database doesn’t help. I just don’t get it. It acts like it’s getting cached but I don’t even have a cache plugin installed.

Can you check when you delete a post that has been imported by autoblog, that the related postmeta in wp_postmeta is being removed as well (you may need to check the id of the imported post, and then search for records with that post_id in the meta information).

The postmeta is used to detect duplicate posts and the last imported post in feeds.

• NetPotion

Can you check when you delete a post that has been imported by autoblog, that the related postmeta in wp_postmeta is being removed as well (you may need to check the id of the imported post, and then search for records with that post_id in the meta information).

It seems to be getting deleted, unless I’m missing something.

Only internal network feeds seem to get broken. I’ve successfully deleted and restored external feeds while doing further testing on this today.

However….

When deleting internal feeds, it doesn’t only exclude past posts – it excludes all posts. Nothing will show up. Not even brand new posts.

Thanks Barry!

~ Corey

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Only internal network feeds seem to get broken. I’ve successfully deleted and restored external feeds while doing further testing on this today.

Hmm – the plugin doesn’t distinguish between any feed.

When deleting internal feeds, it doesn’t only exclude past posts – it excludes all posts. Nothing will show up. Not even brand new posts.

Ok, so it’s probably not a “not importing because I’ve already imported it” issue – as that would only stop importing already imported posts.

• NetPotion

Hi Mason,

Not particularly. It still doesn’t work right – whatever the reason is. Phil said he was able to replicate this issue too. I don’t mess around inside of the database very often so I could be missing something that is causing these problems, I just don’t know.

After 3 full days of pure frustration I kinda gave up on using this for what I wanted it for.

I’m probably just going to uninstall it and give up unless. I wish I had a way to clean this out of my database without breaking things though. It makes me nervous having the remnants of it hanging around – considering.

You can mark this thread as resolved if you want to bury it. It’s not resolved, but there doesn’t seem to be any movement & whatever is causing this is too complicated for me to figure out (to be honest)

Who knows, maybe I’ll get lucky and someone will figure this out before I get my site open =)

Thanks Mason!

~ Corey

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @netpotion

Not particularly. It still doesn’t work right – whatever the reason is

I was asking for information that would help me to track down the issue on your install, I didn’t provide a solution at that point because I needed the information first – I still need it really.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya,

As we haven’t heard back from you we’re going to assume the problem was sorted out and mark this thread as resolved.

If it wasn’t resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread please feel free to post them below and tick the ‘Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)’ box below the post area (or else we’ll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and, as always, for being a member of WPMU DEV, it’s a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of assistance in the future.

Thanks!

Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.