Deal with booking appointments from different timezones?

I do phone appointment with clients across the country. I need for them to be able to set the appointment in their timezone so they aren’t confused. But then have the appointment be at the right time on my calendar so I’m not confused.

Can we do that?

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi @mitchell,

Welcome to the WPMU Dev community and thank you for your question.

The appointments + uses the timezone that your WordPress uses which you can set in Admin area -> settings -> general

If you’re going to be using it across multiple time zones, you should let your users know what time zone you are based in so they can book accordingly. It won’t calculate the difference based on their location.

I will also see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advise for us.

Cheers,

Vinod Dalvi

• Mitchell
    • New Recruit

I was thinking possibly it could use JavaScript to get the local time of the user. Or maybe location based on the IP address. Then calculate the difference and display the calendar accordingly.

So the calendar would be local time to the user but still book in my local time on my calendar.

• Jaime
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Yes, I would like to see that feature as well. I get clients booking from different time zones and it would make it easier if the script automatically adjusted the calendar to display the visitor’s time zone.

I was considering purchasing a different booking script that does this, but since I was familiar with Appointments+ and I thought that it would also do this, I purchased Appointments+ instead.

Please add that feature on the next release.

Jaime

• Joe
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

An enthusiastic +1 from me too because my clients are all over the world! If you could make it like ScheduleOnce does theirs, that would be awesome, as they have a popup that requires them to confirm their timezone as soon as the page loads.

This feature is make or break for me. I've been using ScheduleOnce because their works very well, but I'd love to be able to use this instead.

• Jaime
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Seriously??? After all these requests and after paying you monthly for the past 4 months, you still can’t add this function to Appointments Plus?

I had to purchase a year of TimeTrade because they offer the ability for the customer to choose their time zone!

I’m sorry, but I’ll have to cancel my subscription because it seems like you’re not listening to your customers.

I’ll stick around maybe one more month, if I don’t see this feature soon, I’ll stay with TimeTrade or even try ScheduleOnce. It’s a pity because I really wanted to make Appointments+ work for me.

-Jim

• kalico
    • The Bug Hunter

We haven’t implemented this yet (just testing) but we will probably put up a notification stating that all times are Pacific. It sucks, because we really don’t want people to have to figure out the conversion — especially when the client is in the same time zone as the service provider, but the server is on the opposite coast! That just creates an inconvenience for both users that will feel ridiculously unnecessary to them.

In our case, our marketing dept wants to use a mobile app for appointment scheduling. We prefer to keep it all on our website. But this time zone problem could literally be a deal breaker….because I’m betting that the mobile app is already designed to adapt to time zones…..

But it’s been 3+ years since this issue was first raised, so I’m not really hopeful about it :slight_frown:

• Grant
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I still need this plugin, I tried workarounds but in the end I have been forcing clients to guess their own times with links to time calculators on the internet. Hate this work-around, Would love multi-timezone support!

All times are not Pacific, from my testing the calendar is set to the timezone set in WP Settings.

• EM
    • New Recruit

I wanted this too for bookings across Canada (6 zones) so I revised the code.

Here’s how it works for the user:

I tell the user to pick a day and time presented in the “Eastern Time Zone” and that “after you pick a time, the confirmation box converts your choice to the time zone that your computer uses.” The confirmation box (“Please check the appointment details…”:wink: displays the chosen “Date and time” with “(Eastern)” appended, AND I display another line “In your time zone: ” with the day and time converted to the user’s time zone, with the user’s time zone in brackets.

How I made it work:

I added JS code to query the user’s browser’s time zone, and to compare that with Eastern Time (my own time zone), and then to add/subtract the difference to the day/time that the user chooses. The result is then inputted into the field for CITY, which is rendered to the user with the input label “In your time zone:” and which I make read-only so the user can’t change it on the form.

By putting the adjusted day/time into CITY, I can use that in the confirmation/reminder/cancel emails :slight_smile:

On the back-end, the appointment is in my time zone, with the user’s version being in the “City” field.

Had to also change the code for shortcode-my-appointments so that it renders CITY as the day/time when users see their upcoming or past appointments.

I don’t have appointments sync with google, but this fix should still work because it keeps the day/time in my own time zone. The only problem would be allowing people to add the appointment to their own google calendar, so I do not enable the users to add an appointment to their own google calendar.

Hope this helps.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi v1ktor,

Apologies for the delayed response here.

We’re getting a number of requests for all our products daily and unfortunately, it’s not possible to add them all but we do try our best to include as many as possible.

Feature requests highly depend on the number of requests as well the popularity of the plugin itself, due to that some of the requests get a higher position on the to-do list.

Best regards,

Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.