Decision on what theme to use for local search site

Hi everyone! :slight_smile:

This is my first post and would like some feedback before I research all the themes available and I thought that maybe I can get a bit of a shortcut to some knowledge here!

I am looking to start a search site (it is not directory based) but more to do with “looking for anything to do in the city” including perhaps offering coupons and an optin to keep informed of events, places too see, featured specials etc.

I am focusing more on community and the businesses in the area to bring the consumer closer to learning more about the city and the surrounding environment for things to do and places to see!

Any feedback would be great!

Thank-you

Kal

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

When it comes to the design, it’s really all about your own preference. You can get a preview of several of our themes here: http://themetastic.com/

You’ll also probably be looking at using some kind of directory or listing plugin (we have one available here – grab the beta in the forum) our Classifieds plugin. We also have an events/booking plugin in the works as well.

Another thing to consider is whether you’ll be using BuddyPress or not. If you are, then choosing a theme with BuddyPress support is crucial.

Hope this helps. Anybody else have a recommended theme?

• kalgutman
    • New Recruit

Thanks for your feedback Mason, It is Mason right? and not the other way around! :slight_smile:

I have to run with something, I just don’t want to do a redo as I discover that there could have been a better solution from here at WPMU

Kal

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Kal,

Mason’s correct :slight_smile:

As long as the theme doesn’t provide a ton of “additional features” you should be fine to switch themes at some point should you find one more to your liking. The idea is that plugins which handle the site functions will work regardless of the theme. Granted, that’s in the ‘ideal’ world. Most themes do have individual functions though so it’s a good idea to try them out thoroughly and see what retains when switching to an alternate theme.

• kalgutman
    • New Recruit

Does anyone know how BuddyPress works with WordPress?

From what I am reading they are two different products that can work independent of each other but can be integrated and this is the part that I am trying to understand without being too technical on my mushy brain. :slight_smile:

Can anyone elaborate?

It looks like I will have to have some help with the installation by utilizing your sister companie’s features including the hosting and I am already seeing that I will definately need huge data storage also.

I still have some planning to work on for my Search Ottawa dot com site “places to see, things to do” so to speak and looking to have this project started very soon.

Thanks in advance for any feedback, :slight_smile:

Kal

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Kal,

BuddyPress is a plugin that works on the WordPress platform. It works to add “social network” features to your site such as activity streams, member profiles, discussion groups, forums, etc.

BuddyPress doesn’t work without WordPress as its base. You must have both together.

If you need anything further just let us know :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.