Decision: should I start with BuddyPress or start more simply if I can?

Here's a question for the website strategists out there:

I am building a community for entrepreneurs and can see that the future will require robust BuddyPress/MultiSite functionality. But I want to start much more simply, mostly with just knowledge, tips, and forums, etc. I keep finding plugins that adequately provide "lite" community features that will be fine for the first year or so. So my question is, how important is it that I install BuddyPress from the get-go so that profiles are set up correctly and the right hooks and things are there to enable all of the future things I want to do... Or is it ok that I start with a simpler site with the basics that do not require BuddyPress/MU (which is what I would prefer)? Would I be making a big mistake doing this when I already know that eventually I definitely want to use BuddyPress/MU? Would I be creating a nightmare for myself, or would it be relatively painless to migrate/upgrade? Or maybe the answer would be to completely redo the site on BuddyPress/MU once we have enough subscribers to make a community... but then I think I lose all of the conversations, etc.

Sam

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Sam,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

Well, that is a nice question and it comes under Planning category when we start a new site. Not a lot of people think about it before they start a website.

Personally I will suggest you to start with BuddyPress and use tools like BuddyPress activity plus and forums to provide status updates etc like features.

You can keep it simple in the start and focus more on the usage and navigation ease. Making it content rich and then as you go further, you can keep on adding more features.

On the other hand, if you want to keep it simple, you can use a normal single site and use plugins like https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/quick-status/ and https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/friends/ to provide updates and friend facility.

That ways it will be more about a normal blogging site, where people can add status updates and converse. Then you are right on the upgrade at a later stage, when you will move to BuddyPress, those conversations and friend relations will not be imported.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.