Dedicated Server Questions

I've looked through the past posts on dedicated servers - and have some additional questions.

I currently have 2 buddypress sites (not multisite) with bluehost on two separate accounts (2 cpanels etc.)

I would like to combine these 2 sites and add additional sites over time, but in one cpanel for ease of use on my end.

Bluehost is already throttling both of my sites and I was told by support that it wouldn't be a good idea to add additional sites onto one account. (Even though that's an option that they supposedly support.)

I'm by no means any sort of expert on this sort of thing. I've been learning as I go.

I've only used bluehost for hosting and am used to the cpanel and their set up etc.

My main question is: Can I have the same sort of set up/support with a dedicated server host service like psek? (I mention them b/c I know they come highly recommended.)

My apologies if this is a naive question. I just don't want to jump and make a switch to come to the realization that the set up/system of a hosted dedicated server is completely different than what I'm used to.

Thanks!

• drmike

Being honest here.

The first question that comes to mind is how familiar with server operations? The way I can tell is the response I get when I ask if you can upgrade the kernel. If you can answer that, you should be fine. If that loses you, a server may not be for you.

If you'renot, you run a huge risk of screwing up something and either whacking the box or leaving you open to attack. Even I use a management service and I've got over a dozen year experience with servers. With a management service, if you screw up something for an endclient, you run the risk of a lawsuit and lots of other legal problems.

You may want to look into a host that offers managed dedicated servers. If you find one, google for them along with the word 'sucks' to see what others think of them.

• Ruth | RuthLovettSmith.com

Dr.Mike - So no, I can't answer your question. :slight_smile:

Does that mean that psek is out of the question?

FYI - I'm the endclient. I don't plan on building/designing for anyone else. These are my own sites.

I get the feeling that I'm starting to get way in over my head here. :slight_smile:

Any suggestions from you (or anyone else) for managed dedicated servers?

I'll do a search here too.

Thanks for answering my numerous questions - and so promptly.

Edited to Add:

Did a little more reading and am starting to understand things more.

Found the following from another thread:

"My advice is to always run WPMU on at least a VPS, never shared hosting, and if you are not ready to get your hands dirty and do a lot of googling to become an unofficial linux server admin you absolutely need to make sure you get managed VPS or dedicated hosting.

As Dr Mike wisely just said:

WPMU is server level software and that's what you're running.

Running a professional startup based on WPMU (or any software) WILL require you to either learn to be the tech guru yourself or hire someone to do it. Everyone just expects everything to run perfect out of the box, but it never works like that. :wink:"

All that being said. Could I maybe get some honest advice on my current situation from anyone here who has been there done that?

I have a single wp/buddypress install. I am not offering members their own blogs nor do I plan to. My goal is a niche information site with a social networking community.

I currently have this site hosted with bluehost (shared server) and the site lists my disk usage space at about 1gb for this one site. Bluehost is unable or unwilling to tell me how much space they will allow, but my site is currently being throttled.

Another similar site build (different niche) on another bluehost account is at 600+meg disk usage space.

I would like to develop several of these niche sites. For ease on my end, I thought I wanted to look into having my own dedicated server. It seems that is a bit above my head.

I am able to get by at this point tech wise with bluehost. My questions are:

Do you think I can continue with bluehost and just have 1 site per account/cpanel or will I run into difficulties as traffic and members increase?

If the above is impossible - am I better off with a dedicated server and hiring someone to manage (which I'm not 100% sure I'm ready for).

Or is it possible I can get and do what I need with a managed dedicated server account?

I'm trying to weed all of this out as one of my bluehost accounts is expiring in 16 days and I need to figure out if I should move or renew.

For what it's worth - I've gotten this far...but am feeling that I'm reaching my threshold regarding the tech end of things. It's not my background by any means.

Thanks in advance and my apologies for the lengthy post/questions.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.