Default user roles in multisite

Hello:
I have only just realized that new users are being assigned a role of "Participant" when they create user accounts on my network. As a result, they are not able to even log into their own profile pages. At least, I was not able to do this on a test user account. I kept receiving the error "You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page." I changed the role of this user to "Subscriber" and was then able to access that user's profile page when logging in as him.

"Participant" is a role assigned by the bbPress plugin, and it seems to give it by default to all users. I want users to be assigned a site role of Subscriber automatically, or else it is not possible for them to do anything other than visit the main page and the forums. But it seems there is no New User Default Role setting like there is on single site setups. Is there a recommended workaround here?

And, a third question: How do users who initially sign up and only create a user account, but no website, later add a site to that user account? I am not seeing any way for them to do this, whether they are logged in as Participant or Subscriber. If they only create a user account at first, is it not possible for them to create a site later?

• Milan

Hello William Kowalski

Hope you are well today and thanks for asking us. :slight_smile:

"Participant" is a role assigned by the bbPress plugin, and it seems to give it by default to all users. I want users to be assigned a site role of Subscriber automatically, or else it is not possible for them to do anything other than visit the main page and the forums. But it seems there is no New User Default Role setting like there is on single site setups. Is there a recommended workaround here?

I think with the help of User Role Editor we can do something here, but to gid deep into your issue, I'll need supports staff access to your site, Would you please grant me support staff access so that I can check in depth regarding your issue ?. You can grant me support access via WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

And, a third question: How do users who initially sign up and only create a user account, but no website, later add a site to that user account? I am not seeing any way for them to do this, whether they are logged in as Participant or Subscriber. If they only create a user account at first, is it not possible for them to create a site later?

Aren't you able to create new site from wp-signup.php page. ? Please go to this address when you are logged in.

http://www.yourdomain.com/wp-signup.php

Let me know what you see there ?

And for better insights about this, Would you please grant me support staff access so that I can check in depth regarding your issue ?. You can grant me support access via WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

Cheers,
    Milan

• William Kowalski

Milan

Aren't you able to create new site from wp-signup.php page. ?

No, when I am logged in as user with Subscriber role and visit /wp-signup.php, all I see is a notice telling me I am already logged in and no need to log in again. Visiting my profile and dashboard does not seem to offer me the option to create a site either, unless I am missing something.

I have granted dashboard access so that you can examine the issue... thanks for your help.

• William Kowalski

I have done some further testing on another multisite network and this is what I've found:

1. (bbPress issue) I have confirmed that regular users who have accounts but no sites are unable to sign into their profile pages when bbPress has been installed and their role is Participant. Roles must be manually changed to Subscriber in order to allow them to sign in.

2. When a user's role has been changed to Subscriber and they are logged into their profile page, and with Network Settings set to allow users to create user accounts or sites (the final option), there is no visible way for them in their profile page to create a new site if they don't already have one.

3. When Network Settings allow only logged-in users to create sites, visiting /wp-signup.php seems to result in a Catch-22. You cannot register a new site unless you are logged in, but once you are logged in it tells you you do not need to register a new site.

4. When Network Settings allow you to either create a user account or a site, if you are already a user who does not have a site yet and would like to create one, there is no way to do this from the signup page, since it only allows new account creation, not signin for existing accounts.

All this is to say--it seems that unless people create a site with their account on their first signin, they are unable to create a site for that account on subsequent signins, but can only be assigned to existing sites that were created by other users. Is this the intended functionality? Or is it an error? It seems to me that logged-in users without sites should have the option to create sites whenever they want to.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi William,

If you have "both user and sites can be registered" option enabled in network settings your users should be able to register on /wp-signup.php page.

It could be that you have different URL for this based on the plugins installed.
    Do you have access to yourdomain.com/wp-admin/my-sites.php page when you're logged in as participant or subscriber?
    If you do you can click on Add New there to see what's the actual URL on your installation.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• William Kowalski

Hi Predrag Dubajic

Users with a role of "participant" (which exists only when bbPress is installed) cannot access /wp-admin/my-sites.php or /wp-admin/profile.php. They receive an error saying "You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page."

When bbPress is uninstalled, or when users have their roles manually changed to Subscriber, these users can access both /profile.php and my-sites.php once again.

What I would like is to have users who register an account (but not a site) receive the default role of Subscriber instead of Participant. Is there an easy way to accomplish this?

Thanks.

• William Kowalski

Predrag Dubajic

Check out my test network, maritime.rentals

I have enabled support access there. All plugins are deactivated except bbPress and WPMU Dashboard. If you create a new user (but not a site), you will see that this user is unable to access either profile.php or my-sites.php because bbPress assigns them a role of Participant.

This is a test network and you're not going to hurt anything, so you can make whatever changes you want in your investigation.

*My research has led me to find this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/multisite-user-management/

Other people are having the same problem using bbPress on multisite and this plugin seems to be the only solution they have found. My big question now is: will this work on a large network? And does it still assign the new default role (whatever you choose that to be, using the plugin settings) to people who set up new sites as well as just new accounts? Because if I choose Subscriber as the default role and people cannot be admins of their own sites, obviously that is not a practical solution either...

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello WIlliam,

I hope you're well today!

I re-read entire thread and I think some issues need a bit of explanation.

Assuming that the registered user is already a "subscriber" he/she should be able to create new site if a "both user and sites can be registered" option is enabled, just like my colleague Predrag mentioned. As you say however, the user is not given "subscriber" role. It's worth knowing though that by default in Multisite setup user is automatically given "subscriber" role only for the site/sub-site he/she signed up on. For all other pages this user will be given "no user role" meaning that he/she will not be able to login even despite the "Participant" role given by bbPress. The bbPress roles (I agree this can be confusing) doesn't affect WP user roles but only forum capabilities.

That having said, your finding about Multisite User Management is what I was about to suggest. This plugin should assign user roles (e.g. "subscriber") to registered members on sites other than the one they registered at. This should in consequence let them login and - with "both user accounts and sites can be registered" option they should be able to register sites.

The plugin should assign "subscriber" role to newly registered account but if somebody creates new site, she/he will be given administrator user role for this site. Also, this shouldn't affect "Participant" user role assigned by bbPress which is an "additional user role".

I hope that helps!
    Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.