[Defender] 500 Internal Error on Installing Plugins from WPMU DEV website

Hello all,

So I am on the 30-day trial and tried to install the plugins as part of the quick setup. On the first attempt, I failed due to '500 Internal Error' so I tried to install Defender the plugin on my WP dashboard, which I succeeded.

So here is the question - why do I get the '500 internal error' whenever I try to install your plugins on your website and is there any solution to it? I could install the plugins on my dashboard too, but it just makes it much easier to auto-install it on WPMU website.

Regards
Alice

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Alice

I hope you're fine today and thank you for your question!

The "500 Internal Server Error" is, unfortunately, one of the most "general" errors and doesn't point to any specific issues. It means that "something went wrong" but doesn't say much more than this.

It's a server error and it can be caused by a lot of reasons but in case of WordPress it's usually either because of too low WP memory limit, some sort of access limits to certain resources on the server or by the site hitting server resource usage limits.

That being said, please start with a simple change of your setup:

- access your site via PHP or cPanel "File Manager"
    - edit the "wp-config.php" file
    - add following line to it, above the /* That's all, stop editing */ line:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');

Once that's done, clear cache on site and check if the issue is solved. If that doesn't help, let me know please and we'll investigate it to find the cause and fix it.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.