Defender Audit logging

I have a website, north********yers.ca and I'm just reviewing the Defender Audit logs. It is showing a lot of lines for "User logout success: Guest"

But there is no user "Guest" and no associated login, the logouts are coming from a lot of different IP addresses. Can you tell me what this is about?

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi Ameet

Hope you are doing well.

I double checked the reported IPs, and I can see they are from Microsoft and Google Search Engine bots.

I suggest you mask your URL using the Defender > Advanced Tools > Mask URL, it will increase your site security.

Let us know if you need any further help on this.
    Best Regards
    Patrick Freitas

• Ameet
    • New Recruit

Hi - thanks, but that doesn't really explain why they're listed as having logged out from the site. What end point are they hitting to generate that log file entry? I do not see anything corresponding on the other sites that I have Defender installed on and I have not masked the URL.

• Ameet
    • New Recruit

Hello - following up on this note. Have you checked with the developer yet?

When trying to view the logs, I now get an error: cURL error 28: Operation timed out after 20001 milliseconds with 0 bytes received.

It doesn't seem to matter which date range I use, I simply cannot see the event logs. Please advise.

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi Ameet

Sorry to hear you are having this issue,

Wouldn't you mind please check your max execution time?

Most of the hosting provider has 30 by default which is too low, we suggest to increase to 150, then try to check the date range again. If it does not fix the problem, wouldn't you mind please, disable the security plugin wordfence for a moment and we can check this out for you?

You can learn more about max execution time and memory limit on this blog post https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/increase-memory-limit/

About the robots, I pinged the developer again, hope we can have the information soon.

Best Regards
    Patrick Freitas

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.