Defender Audit Logging to Whitescreen.. PHP hardening brakes WPMUDEV Chat

Hi Guys,

After installing defender, was all working until I enabled Audit Logging.
Audit Logging created Whitescreen across whole site.

I had to renamed the plugin wp-defender folder to disable the plugin
Then renamed it back, and went into my main network site plugins and deleted DEFENDER and ALL DATA

I re-installed it and double checked and was able to repeat the whole process.. each time I ended up with the White Screen when I enabled Audit Logging.

I am also using WPMUDEV Chat.
When Defender Hardening Disable PHP Execution is set it breaks the chat. NO chat loads. No Group Chats, No Window chat.

I have reinstalled defender and left those options OFF..

Rupok

Hi Adeon, hope you had a wonderful day.

Audit Logging created Whitescreen across whole site

This is not happening on my test site, so this is your site specific issue. Can you turn on debug mode in WordPress? To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add yet one more similar line:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

In this case the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/directory.

Depending on whether you want your errors to be only logged or also displayed on the screen you should also have this line there, immediately after the line mentioned above:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

The wp-config.php is located in your WordPress root directory. It’s the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it.

Past errors here. If file is very long, paste them to a text file and attach with your reply.

Regarding chat issue, I could tell you better about the issue if I could see it live, check your current configuration and make some tests on your site. Would you mind allowing Support Access so we can have a closer look at this?

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

I'm looking forward to hear from you and resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Adeon

Hey there.. Firstly the info above fixed the Chat issue, But I'm still getting Error Log Messages about the wpmudev-chat-ajax.php

[Tue Aug 02 05:24:29.509453 2016] [access_compat:error] [pid 23140:tid 139697649014528] [client 66.249.65.153:57240] AH01797: client denied by server configuration: /home/lw5/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-chat/wpmudev-chat-ajax.php, referer: http://lightworkers.org/archive/0/20887/randhirkk/0/blog/new-age/

I enabled the Debug Option.. Then Activated the Defender Audit Logging, and got the white screen.. Nothing came up until I renamed the wp-defender directory (So I could deactivate the plugin). SIte started working again and the following errors were produced as expected..

[02-Aug-2016 08:47:38] PHP Warning: include_once(/home/lw5/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-defender/app/class-wd-module-manager.php) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/lw5/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-defender/wp-defender.php on line 260
    [02-Aug-2016 08:47:38] PHP Warning: include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/lw5/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-defender/app/class-wd-module-manager.php' for inclusion (include_path='.usr/lib/phpusr/local/lib/php') in /home/lw5/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-defender/wp-defender.php on line 260
    [02-Aug-2016 08:47:38] PHP Fatal error: Class 'WD_Module_Manager' not found in /home/lw5/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-defender/wp-defender.php on line 205
    [02-Aug-2016 08:47:38] PHP Warning: include_once(/home/lw5/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-defender/app/class-wd-module-manager.php) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/lw5/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-defender/wp-defender.php on line 260
    [02-Aug-2016 08:47:38] PHP Warning: include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/lw5/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-defender/app/class-wd-module-manager.php' for inclusion (include_path='.usr/lib/phpusr/local/lib/php') in /home/lw5/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-defender/wp-defender.php on line 260
    [02-Aug-2016 08:47:38] PHP Fatal error: Class 'WD_Module_Manager' not found in /home/lw5/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-defender/wp-defender.php on line 205
    [02-Aug-2016 08:47:39] PHP Warning: include_once(/home/lw5/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-defender/app/class-wd-module-manager.php) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/lw5/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-defender/wp-defender.php on line 260
    [02-Aug-2016 08:47:39] PHP Warning: include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/lw5/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-defender/app/class-wd-module-manager.php' for inclusion (include_path='.usr/lib/phpusr/local/lib/php') in /home/lw5/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-defender/wp-defender.php on line 260
    [02-Aug-2016 08:47:39] PHP Fatal error: Class 'WD_Module_Manager' not found in /home/lw5/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-defender/wp-defender.php on line 205

Hoang Ngo

Adeon,

I hope you are well today and I'm sorry for the issue.

Some issue happen with the install process. Can you please use FTP to remove Defender files. And then manually install it by
    1. Download newest version here https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wp-defender/
    2. Extract the file.
    3. Use FTP to upload those files you've just extracted.
    4. Activate the plugin again in wp-admin/plugins.php

Let's see if that work for you.

Best regards,
    Hoang