Defender blocking random people

I spoke to one of your agents a few days ago about an issue I was having with Defender. It has been blocking random visitors to any of our websites that have Defender activated. When I check, their IPs are not in any of the blacklists.
Your agent told me to check with my hosting as they are all hosted by the same server. However, they have confirmed to me that none of the IPs that were blocked are in their blacklists, and if they had been blocked the user wouldn't be shown the Defender logo as they have been.
Could you tell me what the next stage would be? The hosting company have suggested that there is an issue with your plugin.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello James,

I can see that Defender is back on your site where the problem was showing. Can you tell me if you enabled it and users are not blocked anymore?
    If they are can you get IPs of those who are seeing Defender screen on site?

We have checked your site from multiple locations (a lot of different IPs) and we were not able to replicate this problem.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• James
    • New Recruit

Hi,

I enabled it as your advisor on live chat told me too. I have also given him admin access to the site and FTP access.

Unfortunately, it's very hard for me to test and see if it's working or not, as we have to wait until the client contacts us to say it's not working for them or one of their customers. As I'm sure you can appreciate, this is extremely embarrassing and risks us losing the client.

We have left Defender disabled on the rest of our sites as we simply cannot take that same risk of our clients losing out on customers.

If you are unable to find any fault with your system then we may be forced to give up using WPMU entirely, which is not ideal.

James

• James
    • New Recruit

Ok, I have just had the owner of browningbros.co.uk tell me that he can no longer view the site since Defender was switched back on. The plugin had put his IP address in the blacklist, but there's no evidence to suggest why this was (he's not got logins for the site and wouldn't know how to get to the login page anyway). I've now removed him from blacklist and added him to the whitelist, but there's no telling when this will happen again.

His IP is 178.251.180.34

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi James

Hope you are doing well.

Sorry for the delay here.

I checked Defender, and I can see the most of the time the lockouts are for the 404 detections.

Checking your site, I can see some 404 files on the browser console.

Please, verify those files, replace or remove the plugin that is calling a 404 file then you will be able to activate the 404 detections again.

Also flush all Hummingbird caches after fixing the files, to make sure it will be fixed for not logged in users too.

Let us know if you need any further help on this.
    Best Regards,
    Patrick Freitas

• James
    • New Recruit

Hi Patrick,

Excellent, thanks for your reply.

I've switched off 404 IP lockouts for now across our sites and reenabled Defender. I'll monitor the situation and let you know if we get any more reports of users being blocked.

Appreciate your help!

Kind regards,
    James

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.