[Defender] Defender is blocking IPs which are NOT on the blacklist

Hi there,

We're receiving (and have experienced ourselves) site visitors complaining that they've been blocked by Defender, with this message:

"The administrator has blocked your IP from accessing this website."

My own IP was blocked, as well. I was able to log and clear the blacklist, which got everybody back in, even though my IP address (and some readers) were NOT on the blacklist itself. There was a huge number of failed login attempts blocked overnight, but again—not from my IP or the site readers' IPs.

This is an issue that's come up on a few of our sites now, and the only change made to these sites was the upgrade from WordPress 4.9 to 5.0.2.

Thanks for your help.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello roundhouseguys

Do you have any caching plugin? If so, would you please reset cache and then ask that member to check?

Or if you face the same issue again, right click on the browser, view page source and check if at the bottom it’s mentioned that the content is cache generated.

Please let me know about this. Have a nice day!

Cheers,

Ash

• roundhouseguys
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hey Ash,

Thanks for your response!

Yes, we use Hummingbird on all of our sites along with Defender. We’ve cleared the cache, and that plus clearing the entire blacklist got folks back in, but it we’re worried that this issue will crop up again, and considering the 2 plugins should work together. Caching is working properly, it looks like, and so far it’s been a few hours since we cleared the cache and removed the blacklist.

If it’s alright, can we keep this thread open, and I’ll comment here if the issue happens again?

Thank you again!

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi roundhouseguys,

Sounds like this might be more related to Hummingbird cache causing a conflict, and displaying the cached IP blocked page of Defender. If you encounter the issue again, please try the following patch attached below, and check whether you are able to replicate the issue again, or not.

You’ll have to replace the given file in the following path:

/wp-content/plugins/wp-hummingbird/core/modules/class-module-page-cache.php

This patch will be made available in the upcoming plugin version, so that you don’t have to worry about the changes getting overridden after plugin update.

Please let us know how that goes, so that we could give a closer look, if needed. Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,

Nithin

• roundhouseguys

Hi guys,

I know there is another thread active that deals with this issue, but it’s been 2 months now and this patch hasn’t been released. I really need an ETA for the release, as client after client is emailing us angrily that their sites are being blocked by Defender and Hummingbird. If I can find the other thread, I will comment there as well.

This is becoming critical!!

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi roundhouseguys,

Sorry to hear about the ongoing issue in your side due to the bug. I’m afraid, our developers are still working on critical fixes in the plugin side, and hence the delay. I’m checking regarding the status of the issue and will keep you posted once we get further update.

In the meanwhile, I’m afraid, applying the above-given patch would be a quick solution regarding this.

Regards,

Nithin

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi roundhouseguys,

I can understand having to deal with critical issues before release, but are they related to this particular issue, or other issues in the same release?

More related to new features, and enhancements. However, at the moment, I’m afraid, I don’t have an update regarding what all aspects it still worked on, and an exact ETA regarding when this fix is slated for release.

Hoping it would be soon. Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Regards,

Nithin

• roundhouseguys

Nithin

While I appreciate your responsiveness, this is an unacceptable answer. Can you please find out EXACTLY what they’re waiting for? If this bug is fixed, it should be released regardless of what other features it’s being bundled with. You guys offer a paid service, and it’s not working. This is not the first time WPMUDEV has dragged its feet on an update, and I won’t lie, it’s beginning to turn me off to your services. I have a lot of websites tied up with you guys, but if you can’t be relied upon to release bug fixes in a timely manner, I’m inclined to start looking elsewhere.

Can you please check with your devs and provide a more specific answer?

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello roundhouseguys,

I apologize for the inconvenience. We don’t have access to information why some fixes are pushed to a specific version of the plugins – this is plugin’s team decision.

However, in this case, I can see that this fix is being now pushed to the next version of the Hummingbird and awaits for the QA tests – I have also sent a message to plugin developer to ensure that it will be added to next version as this is a serious issue.

kind regards,

Kasia

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi roundhouseguys

Hope you are doing well.

My Apologies, unfortunately, this version was already on the release Queue, seems the fix was added on the upcoming update, I will ask the dev team and check if we have any ETA, I suggest you add the fixed path to avoid the issue is back.

Let us know if you need any further help on this.

Best Regards,

Patrick Freitas

• roundhouseguys

Hi Patrick Freitas ,

So you’re saying we’re back to square one, in other words.

I want to make sure I understand. Not only was the fix NOT actually in the update, but I’ve now updated my sites thinking the fix was in, and now have to go back and re-install the hotfix manually AGAIN? AND you don’t have an ETA?

This is really unacceptable. We’ve been discussing it on this thread since January 2, and it was mentioned by myself and others earlier than that! You provided us a hotfix on January 4th, and have since BROKEN the hotfix by providing a plugin update that overwrites and doesn’t solve it?

Is anyone on your team communicating with anyone else??

FIX THIS PROBLEM AND FIX IT SOON AND STOP GIVING YOUR LOYAL CUSTOMERS THE RUNAROUND.

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi roundhouseguys

Sorry to hear this caused any inconvenience.

This new was already tested and approved to release; unfortunately, the developers couldn’t add the fix with the latest release without in-depth tests, we must be sure that the versions are right on all aspects.

But we pinged the developers, and they released a new plugin version which contains the fix, wouldn’t you mind please, update the Hummingbird to the latest version?

Let us know if you need any further help on this.

Best Regards,

Patrick Freitas

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.