[Defender] Defender Is Locking Out All Site Traffic

The site was 'locked out' by Defender this morning and the only way I could rectify the issue was to turn off Defender and WPMU by changing the plugin directory name.

It gave the error message "You have been locked out due to too many attempts to access a file that does not exist"

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Alex,

I'm sorry that you are facing this issues.

It gave the error message "You have been locked out due to too many attempts to access a file that does not exist"

This means that there is probably missing file on your site that generates 404 error and that triggers 404 DETECTION lockout.
    If you haven't enable "Permanently ban 404 lockouts." and didn't increase time of lockout drastically from 300 sec (thats 5 minutes) you should be after that time to access site again and add your IP to Whitelist and disable 404 lockouts so you will have time to check logs and find which file was causing 404 error and then fix that issue.
    To do that you will need to enable Defender again.

If however you have enabled Permanently ban 404 lockouts then I can try add your IP to whitelist and disable this feature until 404 error is fixed.
    To do that I will need support access and your IP.

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

Please respond in this ticket once access is granted.

Today our chat service was working a little wonky due to scheduled maitanence, but we were receiving chats all the time. Was there any errors when you connected to chat? What browser were you using? I'm asking because I don't see any open chats from your account since 06.08.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Alex,

Unfortunately, I am still getting lockout errors even though the plugin and the main WPMU plugin are deactivated. I don't actually know how this is happening?

You should not be blocked if plugin is deactivated. It is probably matter of the cache (plugin on your site or server cache). You need to clear any cache and block screen should go away.

Is there anyway to resolve this without reinitialising the WPMU?

WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin doesn't make blocking - so it has nothing to do with the issue, it is safe to enable WPMU DEV Dash.
    But I can't check logs of the 404 error without enabling Defender plugin as they are inside it.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.