[Defender] Defender Wish

I love Defender, specially after all the wishes I had last year have been implemented :slight_smile:
Now I can make a new wish for a future feature.
It would be nice if we can automatically ban if a users try to open a specific URL that result as a 404 error.
Like if the users try to login with a specific username.

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi Ulrik

How are you today?

You can enable the 404 URL protection on the IP Lockouts > 404 Detection.

You can define how much 404 URL the member can reach in a period, and if you would like to ban the IP permanently or for some seconds.

Let me know if this is the feature that you are looking for :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Patrick Freitas

• Ulrik
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi
    Yes I know, I have this activated. But I don't want to ban automatically "normal" users who writes a wrong URL.

I want to ban automatically users who are as example trying /install.php or this is popular these days: /searchreplacedb2.php

• Tony G
    • Mr. LetsFixTheWorld

It seems Ulrik wants a blacklist of URLs. I think this was already requested.

FWIW, the Redirection plugin is great for this, very complete, well-supported, etc. and it does so with regular expressions.

Ulrik You also mentioned blocking specific user info entered at login (or registration). I use the BanHammer plugin for that. It works very well. I've enhanced it to ban a huge list of name patterns as well as email address patterns. I don't recall if I submitted that back to Mika (author and recognized WordPress contributor), but I can publish my enhancements if anyone adopts this.

So, IMO, this is another case where this common desire is already well-supported outside of WPMU DEV, and I personally would hope that Defender not simply copy this functionality without significant value-add.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.