Defender Keeps Crashing Server

Hello,

I have been attempting to correct the initial Defender listed issues, but every time I attempt to fix one of the issues, the server becomes unresponsive and I receive error 500 messages. The server will restart and I will be able to access the page after a few minutes, but I am having trouble with the last 4 issues. I was just able to get one of them fixed, but the last three one click fixes are not working. I have enabled uptime monitoring and am trying a scan again. The last couple of times I have tried this, it failed and the server became unresponsive. Is there something configured incorrectly or similar to address this issue. Please advise.

Thanks,
Michael

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Mtwo,

I can see this happening - it shows 500 internal on admin-ajax.php - I spoke with developer and he asks for enabling WordPress debug log and access to your FTP to investigate. To enable debug, open your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add yet one more similar line:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

In this case the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/directory.

Depending on whether you want your errors to be only logged or also displayed on the screen you should also have this line there, immediately after the line mentioned above:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

The wp-config.php is located in your WordPress root directory. It’s the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it.

Could you please send in the following via our secure contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ :

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Kasia Swiderska
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WordPress admin access details (login address, username & password)
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

IMPORTANT: Please make sure you select "I have a different question" for your topic, so it doesn't go back to the forums - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Mtwo
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I could not install over the previous version, so I deleted defender and installed this beta. Upon activation, I received the following Internal Server Error:

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request. More information about this error may be available in the server error log. Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I reloaded the plugins page after server restart and then activated the new defender plugin. I was able to fix two additional issues, but there are two still outstanding. One of them says the following:

Prevent Information Disclosure
    Your website currently run on Apache, which has not yet supported. Please contact our support for more information

Please advise.
    Thanks,
    Michael

• gagabytes

Hi! I am having the same error 500 problem. When the defense is scanning and at the rate of 99.something or when it is about to finish, the error 500 occurs for a minute or so.
    And I did Kasia's suggested above and here's what I get and please advise:

Deprecated: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in /home/####/public_html/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 1518

Deprecated: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in /home/####/public_html/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 1518

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/####/public_html/wp-includes/wp-db.php:1518) in /home/####/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/app/controller/class-ms-controller-plugin.php on line 97

Notice: has_cap was called with an argument that is deprecated since version 2.0! Usage of user levels by plugins and themes is deprecated. Use roles and capabilities instead. in /home/####/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3737

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/####/public_html/wp-content/plugins/ultimate-branding/ultimate-branding-files/modules/favicons.php on line 252

Thanks,

Jo

• Hoang Ngo
    • Code Slayer

Hi all,

Can you please remove the old plugin, and then try this version?

I've stressed test this version for various days, my cheap server CPU average load mostly 0.74, never jump to 1, so I think it can be good now.

If you have any additional issues, please let us know and we'll be happy to help.

Best regards,
    Hoang

• Mtwo

Hello again,

Defender is still crashing the server. In fact, I cannot kill it with the cPanel PHP process manager. Even if I kill all processes, the domain is still inaccessible with memory and I/O maxed out. What can I do to stop Defender taking over this site? Are the resources of this server not enough for this plugin? Please advise and this plugin is killing the site for too long.

Thanks,
    Michael

• Hoang Ngo
    • Code Slayer

Mtwo,

I hope you are well today.

This might be database issue(max_user_connections), or memory limit, as I saw some errors inside the server log about it.

So I have some questions:
    1. How many sites you hosted on your server
    2. Average traffic of each site
    3. Does it your VPS or dedicated server, or it is shared host? If VPS or server, what is the value of the max_user_connections key in your my.cnf file
    4. Also, It seem you using php-fpm to process php. Can you please let me know the value of php_admin_value[memory_limit]. If you using debian, you can find it in /etc/php5/fpm/pool.d/www.conf

I'm sorry for this inconvenience, and many thanks for your patience.

Best regards,
    Hoang

• Mike Wiesman
    • WP Jockey

I am having these exact same issues on two servers of mine. Shared Hosting and a Private VPS. I have thrown 10Gigs of memory on the VPS and defender finds a way to suck all of that and always wants seems to want more. Its crashed the server four times.

I understand that there are going to be bugs in new releases. Can someone explain why this is happening? Appears to be a lack of memory dump somewhere?

I was going through all my sites and was converting them all over to Defender, but now I'm wondering if I made a mistake and just caused more work for myself. As I look through all the Defender topics on here about it killing sites and resources I see that this issue has been on-going for months. One would think that it would be something that would be addressed promptly if this many users are continuously reporting the same issues over and over for months.

Sure hope this issue get addressed soon and a stable update gets pushed out soon.

• Mike Wiesman
    • WP Jockey

I did find that this fix did help in completing the first initial scan.

I ended up running the scan, then constantly refreshing this page http://www.yoursite.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=wdf-debug while watching the CPU usage.....(you can watch it rise with each refresh as the scan progresses.)

I ended up having to put a 20 in for my site to be able to finish the scan. I don't know how solid of a fix this is. Seems to work, but feels like a bandaid fix for now.

• Mike Wiesman
      • WP Jockey

I'm more so disappointed that you're charging for a "premium plug-in" who's basic functions are not even functioning... yes I do understand that these plugin are continuously being working on, but for something that you are actively promoting.......I would think that you would want to get this fix.

I just had higher expectations with the way that WPMUDEV markets themselves. I sure hope that this gets fixed soon as out of the box it's not working.

• Hoang Ngo
    • Code Slayer

Hi Mtwo, Hi Richard, Hi Mike Wiesman

I hope you are well today and I'm sorry for the extreme delay.

That would depend on your PHP and Apache config, if Apache is using prefork mode, then there is a high chance of memory being eaten up.

I’ve tried replicating this on multiple environments but without success, I’ve tried testing on from shared hosting, VPS to dedicated server

If possible, please send me your apache2 & php config file, so I can replicate a closest environment. This will help for the debugging.

Please send in:

- Mark to my attention - ATTN: Hoang Ngo
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include your config files data.

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

Thanks!!.

Best regards,
    Hoang

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.