Defender Plugin is Breaking Database Connection

Hello,

I am having a lot of difficulty with the Defender plugin. Whenever I make any change with the plugin, it results in breaking the database connection not only of the site in question, but of every site on my server. This only occurs when I use the Defender plugin (it doesn't matter which site I'm on, the result is the same for all).

I first noticed this issue when trying to use the hardening feature to change the database prefix. That broke my database immediately, but I was able to fix it pretty quickly by restarting MySQL. Now, even if I so much as click "ignore" a hardening suggestion or change a setting within the plugin, it breaks all the sites on my server, resulting in "Error establishing database connection".

My first thought was that this might be a hosing issue, but since it only occurs when working directly with the Defender plugin, I thought I'd post here first.

• Michael Bissett

Hey Robert Stockwell, Michael here! :slight_smile:

This one will require a deeper look at things on the server, and some testing of changes in Defender to really find out why it'd stop all database operations on the server (not for this WordPress installation alone, but for all installations on the server, I'm assuming that we're not talking about a collection of sites inside of a Multisite installation), could you please send in the following via our secure contact form:

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Michael Bissett
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WordPress admin access details (login address, username & password)
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include SSH log-in details (hostname, and the SSH; the key required could be uploaded to a service like Dropbox, and the link to that shared in the email)
    -- I'll need this to restart MySQL (given what you've said earlier); I'll want to do some more basic checking before having to do this (meaning, before changes to Defender are made), but this'll most likely be needed
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

IMPORTANT: Please make sure you select "I have a different question" for your topic, so it doesn't go back to the forums - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett

Hey Robert Stockwell,

I asked for those details to be sent in via email, so that they're not posted here publicly (as these are public forums). As for my colleague Hoang jumping in, he asked me if he could look into this himself (which is pretty sweet, seeing as he's one of the developers on the project), so he'll be running the show here (myself, or another staff member will jump in, where need be).

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Madhusudan

Hello Robert Stockwell ,
    I am extremely sorry for the delay. Can you please ask your host for a MySQL error log? It will provide us an insight on your issue.

Also can you provide me the detail of your FTP and WordPress credentials so that I could have closer look at it using following contact form.

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Madhsudan Pokharel
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WordPress admin access details (login address, username & password)
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include SSH log-in details (hostname, and the SSH; the key required could be uploaded to a service like Dropbox, and the link to that shared in the email)
    -- I'll need this to restart MySQL (given what you've said earlier); I'll want to do some more basic checking before having to do this (meaning, before changes to Defender are made), but this'll most likely be needed
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

IMPORTANT: Please make sure you select "I have a different question" for your topic, so it doesn't go back to the forums - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thanking you,
    Madhsudan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.