[Defender] Problem with wrong login using Defender

Hi,
When the user submits the wrong credentials they don't see an error message or anything else. They just get a white screen containing nothing.
I created a new plugins folder and moved each plugin one-by-one to see which causes this problem. When I moved Defender it started working good.
I set WP_DEBUG to True in wp-config.php to see if there was a message, but nothing to see.
Hope this can be solved, cause I like the plugin!

Gr, Age

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi jongag1,

I tested in my system but wasn't able to replicate such an issue. Do you still have Defender plugin enabled? Since support access to your website wasn't enabled I wasn't able to give a closer look at the dashboard side.

I tested in your website by going to /wp-admin URL, and tried to input wrong admin login, but wasn't able to notice any white screen.

I do notice you had Debug mode set to true, however, it can miss errors. It would be ideal to enable the debug log, if it wasn't enabled.

To enable debug log, open your wp-config.php file located in your root directory, and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
    @ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );
    define( 'SCRIPT_DEBUG', true );

After making the above changes, please try replicate the issue. The errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/ directory.

Please attach these in your next reply in txt format file, so that we could give a closer look. You can find more details about debugging here.

Please let us know how that goes, have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello jongag1

When it says 500 errors, that means there is a php error produced. We need to see that error to troubleshoot.

Would you please send me your admin login and FTP details so that I can check myself?

You can send me privately in the following format:
    1. Please go to https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question
    2. Select "I have a different question" if not selected
    3. In subject line put "Attn-Ashok" (this will ensure that the email is assigned to me)
    4. Provide the wanted details.
    5. Add the thread link in the message so that I can track.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello jongag1

I have just checked your site. With defender active, I have tried with an invalid user and I got the error message. Right now, I kept the plugin deactivated again.

Would you please activate again and check if you can replicate the issue? And if you can, please make a screencast just in case if we are looking at different places.

Cheers
    Ash

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi jongag1,

I was testing from India, so I had to whitelist my IP in your website to test the issue further. I went to the /wp-admin login screen and tried to log in using a user not present in your system.

But, I wasn't able to replicate the issue. The website works fine when tested. I have made a screencast regarding this, the video is on FireFox browser, could you please check, and see whether there are any steps being missed in replicating the issue?

https://cloudup.com/cK_W6cBGJBA

Would recommend you to clear the browser cache, and history, and then check whether you could replicate. Also, check whether you have any extensions that are causing any conflicts too.

If the issue still exists even after that, a screencast would be helpful, so that we could have a better idea. Looking forward to your response, have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Nithin

• jongag1
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Nithin

This is so weird. I emptied the cache and still have a problem...
    Tried in Edge and Firefox.

In the previous post I tried to upload a movie (.mov) but it wasn't allowed.
    The steps you take are the same steps I make. Other users experience the same problem. I tried it also on an Galaxy mobile phone from a user.

With Screencast I made a video in which you can see the problem in Edge and Firefox: https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cqfb1gZ0NT

By the way, I get messages there are logins for wpmu coming from India (that's you), Poland and The Netherlands. That's correct?

Gr, Age

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi jongag1,

Thanks for sharing the video, this is really odd behaviour. I asked one of my colleagues to test this out in a Windows OS, and it works fine in his side.

The above screenshot is from Edge Browser. This is really a weird issue, as we aren't able to replicate this in any instance. I also tried to set up the Defender plugin similar to your website configuration, but I'm still not able to replicate. Does it work fine in other browsers like Chrome, Safari etc?

Could you please double check whether there is any extensions or add-ons enabled in the browser side?

If you still notice issue even after disabling the extensions in the browser side. Could you please double check whether you could replicate the same when you deactivate all the plugins except WPMU DEV Dashboard and Defender plugin?

This would give a better idea regarding what could be causing this.

By the way, I get messages there are logins for wpmu coming from India (that's you), Poland and The Netherlands. That's correct?

Yes, we were testing via Proxy servers, so these would be correct.

Looking forward to your response. Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Nithin

• jongag1
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Nithin

Okay, I think I got it. I have to use a plugin to restrict access to a certain page called Page Restrict.
    (fyi: I tried the WPMU Members plugin, but that has an issue with the theme I use)
    With that plugin deactivated while Defender is activated everything is working good.

We have a poll online (using Forminator) and only logged in users may access it, so I will search for a different plugin unless perhaps you know if it's possible to restrict the Forminator Poll for logged in users?

I just don't understand why replicating the problem wasn't working at your site. Perhaps Defender wasn't activated while testing?

Gr, Age

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.