Defender scan report issues found in wp core

I have tested the Defender pligin for the first time, and ran a scan, wich gave me 7 issues in the wp core, suspicious files:
- /phpinfo.php
- /wp-itapi.php
- /deleteme.wyr1xrke.php
- /wp-admin/twitter.txt
- /wp-admin/php_mail.log
- /wp-admin/php_errorlog
- /wp-includes/version.php
I contacted my hosting provider, siteground and asked them if the files was a danger, and they said no. So here I am, getting a warning from Defender of 7 suspicious files, and my provider telling me it`s no dager. What/who shall I trust?????

• Sajid

Hi @frode_h__konsen2,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Our defender plugin detects a slightest threat in any files and folder to make sure your site is fully secure and protected. In some files like phpinfo, error_log and version.php there can be information that revealed a sensitive information about your install and configuration that can be a potential threat, becuase hackers are looking for such files to get sensitive information about WordPress. So its recommended to delete such files.

However there are some files like with extension .tx that are unknown and less vulnerable. If you think they are not a potential threat that you can simply ignore them by clicking on false alarm icon in actions column.

Regarding versions.php file, that seems to be modified so its recommended to restore the file by clicking on resolve icon and then restore file.

Hope that helps! Feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance :slight_smile:
    Cheers, Sajid

• Hoang Ngo

@frode_h__konsen2,

I hope you are well today.

I've checked your site, Defender just said that you have unknown files inside your root folders. This is more like an alert than conclusion.

Monitor files change is important, as you know, hacker can upload suspicious file via a bug of a script, and hide it on your system, so admin doesn't know about it. When you see a new file added to your server, and you don't have any idea what it is, please contact WPMUDEV staff or your host support, so we can check and make sure it clear :slight_smile:, like the way you doing right now :p.

If you have any additional issues, please let us know and we'll be happy to help.

Best regards,
    Hoang

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.