Defender scans seem to be crashing my entire server

I posted earlier today about the fact that my whole server, and not just my multisite, seemed to have crashed. I was unsure as to the cause, but I could see that the database server was crashing. This happened repeatedly all night, beginning at around 4 PM Atlantic Standard Time yesterday. When I was finally able to get into my dashboard for a few moments and disable Hummingbird, Defender, and Snapshots, the problems instantly ceased. I enabled Hummingbird again a few hours ago with no problem. I then reenabled Defender and ran a scan. The scan hung at 99.7% completed and my entire server--every site I run, whether related to my multisite or no--crashed, resulting in immediate notifications from Jetpack.

I don't know why this seems to be happening, but I am unable even to SSH or FTP into my site to disable my plugins. This is clearly a major problem. Huge, actually.

• William Kowalski
    • The Crimson Coder

Earlier, Jaxom posted this for me to see:

This is the actual issue, something is creating more open files than your configuration will allow - 21826 mysql 1.17 9.43 /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir=/usr --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --plugin-dir=/usr/lib64/mysql/plugin --log-error=/var/lib/mysql/hosting.mahonebaywebdesign.com.err --open-files-limit=10000 --pid-

• Milan
    • WordPress Wizard

Hello @williamkowalski,

Hope you are doing well and thanks for asking us. :slight_smile:

Our Defender plugin scans all installation files of your wordpress installation, but if something is locking up files and our plugin can't read files it results in hanged scan. So is there any other service which locks file on your end ? If not then Can I access your site to know more about your issue ?

I've pinged our developer to throw some light on this case, but I must admit that I've not came across such case till now.

Please advice further and we will see what we can do in this case. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Milan

• Hoang Ngo
    • Code Slayer

Hi @williamkowalski,

I hope you are well today and I apologies for your major issue :slight_frown:

This perhaps because server resource. In scanning process, Defender will try to use your resources, to boost the scanning performance. But unfortunately, this cause trouble on your server.

Please hold on, I will try to push a fix for you ASAP, today if possible :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Hoang

• William Kowalski
    • The Crimson Coder

@webexperts09

My server has crashed again. I've just received a notification 15 mins ago from Defender that it completed another scan... even though I had disabled it from my main site. I must have left it running on one of the other two test networks on that server.

• William Kowalski
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi @dubajicp1
    No need to apologize... I understand what you are saying, and these things take time. I am more concerned about what happened yesterday, which is that Defender hung again and crashed the server even after I had deactivated the plugin on my network. I had allowed access to my site for you guys, but I just want to confirm that someone had re-activated it, because if someone didn't and it scanned my site anyway, then there is yet another problem to look at. I have deleted the plugin entirely from my site because I cannot afford another crash... it makes me look very bad to my clients and causes me no end of headaches.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi William,

I accessed your site to check logs and only saw that Nithin accessed your site yesterday but this ticket is not in his feed so he was probably checking something from different thread.

If the plugin is disabled the WP won't run it and I actually see no way how it could run by itself while disabled.

Let me check with Nithin and Hoang about this and get back to you with more info.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.