Defender warns me for error_log file in wodpress core folders

Hi guys, I keep getting warnings about "error_log" files in two folders of my wordpress installs (on all my sites) wp-includes/error_log and wp-admin/error_log, aren't this files core to wordpress?

I dont know what to do with them, do I delete them or just ignore them? I've attached an image with the issue.

Thanks guys.

• Randy
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Not sure what "disable debugging" means, where it is, or how to do that. "/wp-admin/error_log Unknown file in WordPress core" is the only message I get and I just delete the file. Do I need to worry or do something different?
    Thanks.

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Randy,

"/wp-admin/error_log Unknown file in WordPress core" is the only message I get and I just delete the file. Do I need to worry or do something different?

You don't need to worry as this is just the error log report file. However, as Kasia said above, it will appear again until you stop debugging. For stopping debugging, login to your server with any FTP application like FileZilla and open the "wp-config.php" file and inside the file, look for the following line"
    define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
    If you find this line, please replace it with the following:
    define( 'WP_DEBUG', false );
    That will make sure your that debugging will be disabled for your site. Now save the file and I believe, no more error logs will be saved there.

To get complete idea about error reporting, you can check this official documentation: https://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Configure_Error_Logging

Please let us know if you still have any confusion or if you are stuck at any point. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Randy
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Can I get to the file using cPanel?

What is no longer going to be debugged and is not being debugged any possible threat?
    If it isn't and the system runs just fine without debug, what does it do and who cares about that?

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Randy,

Yes, you can surely do this with your cPanel file manager.

Debugging is the initial step for troubleshooting any error. For example, suppose, your site is showing a blank white page after installing a plugin. Now how can we know exactly what is breaking your site? We enable debugging in that case because debug log tells us exactly which file is creating this problem and what is the exact error. Then we go for fixing that specific error and your site becomes functioning again.

So if your site is working fine, you don't need debugging enabled. And as debugging is helpful for troubleshooting, if you are not in trouble, you don't need troubleshooting and as a result, you don't need debug data. So disabling debug is not a thread in any way. It's like a helpful feature you can use when you are in trouble with your site, nothing else.

I believe now you know what does it do and you are clear that running your site has nothing to do with debugging. If you get any medical condition, you call a doctor and doctor tries to find out exactly where the problem is. Here we are the doctors for your website and debug log data tells us where the issue is.

Please let us know if you have any further confusion or if you are stuck at any point. We will be glad to assist further.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Michael Maliepaard
    • Flash Drive

All my "Defender" enabled sites are also presenting these log files and debugging is disabled in the wp-config.php file.

The odd thing is that it appears to be defender itself that is raising the errors. i.e. the error.log file in wp-admin on one site contains the following entry:

[13-Jan-2017 03:24:40 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined method WD_Utils::is_plugin_network_activated() in /####/####/public_html/#######.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-defender/app/class-wd-post-model.php on line 487

On another site it reads:
    [21-Sep-2016 22:31:20 UTC] [WPMUDEV API Error] 4.1.2 | cURL error 28: Operation timed out after 15000 milliseconds with 0 bytes received ((unknown URL) [500])
    [19-Oct-2016 07:58:47 UTC] [WPMUDEV API Error] 4.1.2 | HTTP Error: 599 "" (https://premium.wpmudev.org/api/dashboard/v1/updates [599])
    [13-Jan-2017 03:24:42 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined method WD_Utils::is_plugin_network_activated() in /#####/####/public_html/#####.com.au/wp-content/plugins/wp-defender/app/class-wd-post-model.php on line 487

Cheers,

Mike

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Mike,

Please created separate thread for this issue. As you can see this thread is marked as resolved and gets answers that are not related to authors original question and we would like to not annoy author with mail notifications about new posts here.

hope you understand :slight_smile:

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.