deleted site continues to get billed

We had a test site that we were testing the billing for but we deleted the site and it is still billing for hosting.

Apparently, we turned off billing for the site and after that didn't work the site was deleted but money is still transferring for that site. I didn't do this myself and it was some time ago so I can only pass on what I was told.

I just updated the pro sites plugin from 3.1.3 to 3.2.2, I'm not sure if this fixed the problem or not as I would have to wait a month to test it (not something I really want to do).

This doesn't seem like a bug that slipped through so I suspect that I may have configured the plugin wrong, is anybody else experiencing the same problem or have some suggestions?

• koskow

From what I understand of paypal, you can cancel the subscription there:

1. Log into Paypal
    2. Click "History" under "My Account" at the top of the page
    3. Change the search date range to when you started the subscription
    4. Use the drop down to select "subscriptions"
    5. Click on Details or the name of the subscription you want to cancel
    6. Depending on the type of subscription page you are on, you will have a few ways to cancel:
    If available, Click "Cancel Profile" which appears in top left of screen under the mercant's name.
    OR
    If available, Middle button at bottom of page Click "Cancel Subscription". This button appears at the bottom of the page.
    7. Confirm the choice by clicking "Cancel Subscription" or "Cancel Profile" as requested.

Hope this helps!

~k

• oncourssadmin

Thank you Koskow for the information, however, I already know how to cancel the subscription in Paypal.

My concern is that when a client site is discontinued their paypal account will continue to be billed unless they cancel the subscription themselves manually. This, to me, seems like quite a large stumbling block for a system that is otherwise quite good to make things easier for the end user.

If I have to intervene every time a site expires or a client decides to stop their subscription then this will most likely become quite an administrative problem.

Hoping there is another, automated, type of solution!

• aecnu

Greetings oncourssadmin,

This is a great question and of course a big concern that when a client site is discontinued, that their PayPal account will continue to be billed.

From my understanding Pro Sites relies on the payment processors to initiate future payments. It's how pretty much any recurring billing gateway api works. And better as there really is no reliable scheduling built into WP.

How was the site deleted, by member cancellation action or by super admin deletion?

The subscription or site was not cancelled but deleted instead?

It is my belief that the site owner needed to cancel within Pro Sites or PayPal for this to work so if in fact the site was deleted by the admin, this would not be following protocol necessary to cancel PayPal initiated subscription billing and though I might be wrong, they need to log into PayPal to cancel.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Sue

Pro sites has always worked this way that deleting or archiving a site doesn't cancel their Pro subscription and they do need to either cancel it using their Pro sites page or from within PayPal to stop payment.

We've used Pro sites for years on Edublogs.org with a large number of users and this hasn't been an administrative issue for us. Pro sites was originally developed for Edublogs,.org so it might be that we've never asked for this feature or this is how it needs to work for the payment pathways.

Thanks!

Sue Waters
    WPMU DEV Support

• oncourssadmin

Thank you aecnu and Sue for your assistance. The site was initially deactivated from within the super-admin sites panel. When this did not affect the scheduled billing the next step was taken to delete the site to see if that would have any impact.

Do I understand correctly aecnu that only the client can truly cancel their subscription via the Pro Sites interface?

Thank you so much for all of your time and assistance!

Shelley

• oncourssadmin

Thank you so much for the clarification Sue. In fact, that is exactly what I did to cancel the subscription which is why I am baffled as to why it would continue charging the credit card. I have manually cancelled the Paypal subscription and am going to set up a new test site to see if the scenario can be replicated. I must have done something wrong in the process - will report back.

Shelley

• oncourssadmin

Hi Sue, unfortunately after cancelling the subscription with no effect on the billing I deleted the site all together so there is no admin back end log to look at. Is there a log file in the database which may contain t his information?

Note: When I set up a new test site I noticed a difference in the pro-sites control panel - I think that possibly the old site was set up with a 'Manual' payment gateway - could that be the source of the issue?

Thank you all of your assistance.

Shelley

• oncourssadmin

Hi Joe and thank you for touching base. I think the issue boils down to the order I must have set things up in re: manual gateway - and when I created my test site(s). At this point everything seems to be working properly so I think we can mark the issue as resolved. If I gain any further clarity on what happened and how I will be certain to pass that on to you for sure.

Thanks again!

Shelley

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.