Deleting Aliases Breaks Domains, but they aren't Mapped?

So I have a WordPress multisite install with over 20 sites. For some reason, two of them are using aliases in cPanel, even though they're not redirecting to anything, and they don't have other domains associated with them.

That is: blueeyes.seventh-star.net and sailormoon.seventh-star.net

But I have a ton of other WordPress sites on the same install: atw.seventh-star.net, for example. But these don't show up as aliases in my cPanel, and I'm trying to figure out why JUST those two would need it. I only have a limited number of aliases, so I don't want to use them if I don't have to.

I tried deleting the blueeyes.seventh-star.net ALIAS in cPanel (nothing in WordPress, nor anything anywhere else) and it broke the whole thing-- the site became inaccessible!

I have the Domain Mapping plugin, Multi-Domains for Multisite, but I'm not sure if they interfere with one another or anything else. The other thing I can think of is Contact Form 7, since I know that having an email address that matches the domain of the website is important for validation, and in order to add a "fake" email address (e.g. admin@blueeyes.seventh-star.net) to the settings, perhaps that's why an alias exists...?

Help!

• Rupok

Hi Azurite, hope you had a wonderful day.

This is weird. I've a subdomain multisite with 26 subsites and none of them need an alias. Domain aliasing, or domain stacking, is creating additional domain names that would point to the IP of a different domain. For example, if your domain name is example.com, you can register another domain name, for instance example.net and have it point to the location of example.com.

As your subdomains are handled by WordPress, you should not need to create any aliases in cPanel.

it broke the whole thing-- the site became inaccessible!

Is it a live site? Can I do some tests on it? I could tell you better about the issue if I could see it live, check your current configuration and make some tests on your site. Can you send me message with cPanel access credentials through our secure contact form here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Subject: "Attn: Rupok"
    - cPanel Username
    - cPanel Password
    - cPanel Login URL
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant URLs

Select "I have a different question" for your topic. This and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Rupok

I do apologize for delay in response. Thanks for granting Support Access and providing cPanel creds. I checked your issue, but the current configuration is too complex. So I initially checked your WordPress config. Everything seems perfect there. I created a test subsite, it was accessible without doing anything in cPanel, no aliases or anything. So WordPress is clear, out of equation.

Now, I checked your aliases, parked domains, DNS settings and I'm lost. In your DNS settings, lots of "A" record and two "TXT" records are there. Please check the attached screenshot for reference.

I need to remove some of those, or edit, but I don't know what will be the result. So didn't touch them. For example, the two subdomains you are talking about, matches with the TXT records in the screenshot. When I went to aliases section, there was no alias for blueeyes, so I tried to create one, but I could not, it was saying about some DNS errors I could not resolve.

So, can you please confirm who created these records? And is there any chance you can clear all redundant records and check if the issue is still there?

I'm looking forward to hear from you and resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Azurite

Hi there,
    So I deleted the blueeyes.seventh-star.net and sailormoon.seventh-star.net aliases as a means of getting this to work, but I was told on the WordPress.org forums that it may take up to 72 hours before the DNS records refresh. I'm hoping that means I won't have to do anything further, but as of right now, both sites are still inaccessible. I got rid of the associated TXT records, but I don't know if they'll get generated again or not. They didn't seem to be when I tried to access the sites again immediately after deleting them, but I'm not sure.

As far as I'm aware, almost all of these are generated automatically; I certainly don't recall doing it myself, though it's possible someone from my host's Support team did it when I was troubleshooting something. I don't know at this point which records might be "redundant," and I've removed any that referred to the problematic sites-- right now the only DNS records should be for the main domain and existing (non-WordPress) subdomains or special subdomains like mail.seventh-star.net and the like.

• Rupok

Oh yeah, sorry, I forgot to mention and revert it back. I changed site address from blueeyes.seventh-star.net to blueeyes2.seventh-star.net and it works perfectly. So the issue was not at WordPress end, rather it's on your DNS end.

I just checked both subsites and they are showing fine. http://blueeyes.seventh-star.net/ and http://sailormoon.seventh-star.net/ both are loading without any problem. Can you confirm your DNS is clear now? If yes, I think we are done with this ticket. Please check and confirm.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.