Deleting Global Region Presets in Upfront

I have created a number of custom Global Regions without issue. This allows me rapidly build new pages but I am concerned about when I hand over the site to my client because there are also the preset global regions that come with the child theme Spirit.

How do I remove the old preset global regions or unwanted custom regions so that only my preferred custom ones remain in the dropdown?

Hope that you can provide some guidance here :slight_smile:

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Brett,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

It seems that Upfront currently doesn't include a tool that would let you do this "with a click". I have just asked Upfront development team for help on this and I hope they'll get back to me with an advice soon.

Please keep an eye on this thread and I'll update you with information as soon as I get a response.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Brett

Hey Adam,

I was able to delete the existing regions no worries using the method I discovered so that was good to find. You can basically wipe out all of the preset global regions and start a fresh.

However, it appears that you cannot rename the regions. I was hoping to rename my custom regions so that my client could easily build pages (ie: 01-page-banner / 02-page-title / 03-main-body / 04-CTA) without me.

It looks like I will have to go through and manually set up the regions as per my example above which is a pain this time around but next time I will know to wipe the presets first and then create mine using the sequential naming convention.

It would be great if there was an name edit function but I guess that there might be some issues pushing the renaming out to the various regions scattered around the site. Anyway, I will leave that suggestion for you boffins to figure out :slight_smile:

Cheers... Brett

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Brett!

Thanks for letting me know!

Yes, you can wipe out "all", I just didn't thought that this may be a solution for you. Basically, that is in fact the good way to work with Upfront in case you like to build heavily customized layout: wipe everything first and then create only what you need keeping up the naming convention.

I'm glad you this worked for you.

As for re-naming. I agree this would be a great option and I think this and many more useful features are yet to come. Although we're past "beta" releases already Upfront is still "young" and a list of features upcoming in future is really long, including the real "blank" theme along with "builder" (to let you build your own child/starter themes!).

That said, thanks for suggesting it. I really hope you enjoy Upfront and I'm sure you'll find it more and more handy with each and every update :slight_smile:

Have a nice day!
    Adam

• Brett

I love Upfront and WPMU... you guys seriously rock. I use UF exclusively for all my WP builds, the ecosystem is great, especially the new suite of performance plugins.

I've been using UF since the very first beta was released and it changed the way I work with WP. The improvements since that first beta are first rate. You guys and gals at WPMU should be very proud of your work so far but don't let my praise go to your heads, there's still work to be done!! LOL

I commented on another thread this morning (the latest UF post) that a vanilla theme would be awesome. A child theme that features all of the basic UF functionality but with very generic / vanilla CSS, much like how Bootstrap works.

The next logical step would be to then save your custom set up as your own child theme and then lock things down perfectly. Ideally we would then be able to on-sell that child theme!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Brett!

I commented on another thread this morning (the latest UF post) that a vanilla theme would be awesome. A child theme that features all of the basic UF functionality but with very generic / vanilla CSS, much like how Bootstrap works.

The next logical step would be to then save your custom set up as your own child theme and then lock things down perfectly. Ideally we would then be able to on-sell that child theme!

That's definitely coming to Upfront in future. There's no "maybe" or "we'll think about it" :slight_smile: The only "unknown" here (yet!) is "when". Devs are working hard on bringing this feature to you and I think (though that's just my personal opinion) they are rather close to finish :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Adam

• Brett

That's great news Adam! Seriously. This will change how I run my business in a very positive fashion as I design just as much as I dev.

I'd be interested to understand how you guys will approach licencing once we get to that stage. Questions like will my client have to purchase UF too or will my active subscription be enough spring to mind... Anyway, I'm really excited about the direction you guys are taking UF.

Good luck to the devs working on this, here's to many happy and quick iterations!!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.