Designing an admin organized member directory

I am using WP and BP to build an intranet for our organization and partners/supporters network.

One of our needs is to present a public directory of organization members organized by role (directors, staff, personnel, interns). This means that the administrator needs to be able to choose certain profiles, assign an organization role and present only these in the directory.

The default profile and directory abilities in BP don't allow for administrator assigned roles (that I know of) and so I've created a "directory" custom post type with pages for each person in the organization. The idea is to link these directory pages with their accompanying BP profile then make a directory.php template which presents only BP profiles with a linked directory page. The link between them could be assigned via post-meta.

Am I making this far too complicated?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya!

the administrator needs to be able to choose certain profiles, assign an organization role and present only these in the directory.

That sounds like a tall order. I'm not aware of anything that'll help you do this with BuddyPress right off the bat.

The idea is to link these directory pages with their accompanying BP profile then make a directory.php template which presents only BP profiles with a linked directory page.

Well, if I'm tracking with you (and that's a mighty big if) this'll work, though you're right it IS pretty stinkin' complicated!

Am I making this far too complicated?

Heh. Would it be any fun if it wasn't? :smiley:

Anybody else have thoughts on this or tried a similar set up?

• chiinook
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

With custom posts capability, it seems like the directory building shouldn't be so difficult. Not having much in the way of my own coding skill, I've used Easy Post Types to create a Directory type containing individual member pages and included a custom field for organization role. That's been easy enough. The question is, how do I then connect these profiles in the organization directory to the appropriate buddypress profile?

How hard would it be to code a drop down box into a second custom field that calls up a list of registered bp profiles and allows the admin to choose one or more profiles to link to the page? My thinking is that since the directory is more of an informational tool, it can simply point to the buddypress layer rather than integrate with it completely.

Interestingly, Elgg allows each user to create lists of friends. If this approach had a counterpart in buddypress, the admin could create a list for each organizational role and then build the directory by calling up each of those lists.

Hmmm

• chiinook
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Turns out that solo practice's directory page is a simple wordpress page with no links whatsoever to the buddypress system. Makes sense.

So what if you want more automation? For example, if I want to list certain profiles and include their avatar, name, bio sketch and most recent update?

What would it take to hard code an additional profile field for "profile classification" where the edit field is available only to the administrator? This would provide a tag that could be used to form directory queries.

• Artsblurt
    • Flash Drive

Hi chiinook. I am looking for a similar solution to yours.

Basically the way I see it you need to differentiate your members one way or another so you can display them (their profile) based on that criteria.

I think there are two options
    1. either differentiate with a new profile field
    2. be able to assign categories to members.

There is a potential solution for both scenarios in the form of early plugins.
    for option 1:
    Plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bp-member-filter/
    Support: http://buddypress.org/community/groups/third-party-components-plugins/forum/topic/bp-member-filter/

Looks a bit buggy and not very well rated

for option 2:
    Plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bpcontents/
    Support: http://buddypress.org/community/groups/bpcontents/

Seems more comprehensive and has a better rating although I am not sure how up-to-date it is.

I would really like to know how you get on with these if you give them a try.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.