Desperately need help on the basics with UpFront!

I am to the point that I feel like a complete idiot and am starting to regret my membership since I can't seem to even make basic things work when trying to lay out a site. I created a blank child theme for UpFront and then added a header region with an image element inside it for my logo, another region below that for a slider, a region below that for my menu, etc - but no matter how many different ways I try, absolutely nothing comes out correctly when I preview. My background graphic for the header doesn't show up. My slider is a tiny little block that barely shows a small portion of the images...

I'm at a loss here. I've been trying to learn this builder as I get a little time to play with it and read the tutorials, but I'm obviously missing something. I'm to a point where I absolutely have no choice but to complete 3 websites for a client and I need help badly! Thank you in advance to anyone who can offer guidance!

• Rupok

Hi Jodi, hope you had a wonderful day.

I created a blank child theme for UpFront

Can you please describe how you created a blank child theme for UpFront?

absolutely nothing comes out correctly when I preview

This is weird. You can preview on the fly. Can you please give us any screenshot pointing what's going wrong and what you expect? We can definitely guide better better in the right direction.

Can I try builing those elements myself on your site? I don't know why it's behaving such, but I can try fixing it if you allow.

I'm looking forward to hear from you and resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Nithin

Hi Jodi,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

I'm terribly sorry for the delay here, Upfront is not like the default WordPress themes, it has it's own powerful framework, and unique drag and drop API. Unlike default WordPress child themes, it's not that easy to create a child theme from scratch for non-coders. The link what you have shared is a test done by one of our awesome members, on child theme creation for Upfront.

I created a child theme as given in the thread in my system, and it does work. But on further testing, I'm getting a 500 internal error in the browser console, and also uneven results on page save, which includes issues as you describe. At the moment, it's not something that I would recommend running on a live site.

To start with, right now Upfront only comes with 6 child themes that you can download from our theme page, here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/projects/category/themes/

Would recommend you to follow any of our themes from our theme page, and customize it according to your needs. At the moment, we don't have any official docs on creating a child theme. We do have a roadmap for a theme builder which should make Upfront more flexible when it comes to templates.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you still need any further help. Have a nice weekend. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Jodi

Thank you for your reply. I gave up on it and uninstalled not only UpFront, but WordPress too, from the site as I was on a time crunch and had to have something up. I will look again at UpFront, but it is truly just very frustrating having to remove everything from the ready-made themes and then add it back. If rendering or undoing didn't go so slowly it probably would not be so much of an issue. I have another site that I have installed the MPMUDEV Dashboard and UpFront to, so I'll see how that one goes before making the decision to cancel my membership. I've been using WP for a few years now and also have a fair amount of coding experience. I thought that the whole drag and drop appeal of UpFront would make life so much easier, but it seems so far to just cause more work :disappointed:

• Nithin

Hi Jodi,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

Sorry to know that you are having issues with making it work smoothly, removing elements from the ready-made templates, and customizing it, is one option. Or you could create a new page, which gives you a basic layout, on which you can rework the entire layout according to your needs.

If you find that it's taking too much time to load Upfront, it maybe due some other reason, to be sure you could enable support access, so that we could give a closer look on the load time. We would like you to explore all the features of Upfront, before considering other options. If you find yourself stuck in using the theme at any point, please do let us know, we are here to help.

Please let us know once you enable access, so that we could help troubleshoot if any. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.