Despite having run

Despite having run smush on 1266 images on site, i am still getting:
1. "F" on GT Metrix listing a number of images still needing optimsiation
2. Hummingbird is recommending i optimise images and giving a score of 46/100
3. Despite having smushed, when i go back into smush and re-check images, apparently 1266 images need re-smushing
...any reason for this?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Simon,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I suppose that these images that are still reported by both GMetrix and Hummingbird are not from Media Library but parts of the theme/plugins. If that's the case, WP Smush Pro is not able to optimize them as it only works with images kept within Media Library and NextGen gallery (optionally).

I would however like to take a closer look at your site in order to check it so could you please grant me a support access to it?

To do so, please follow this guide and let me know here when you are ready:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Simon!

Thank you for granting access!

I checked the site and I can see that after running "re-check" images WP Smush is showing again that you need to smush all >1200 images.

WordPress generates multiple images (in case of your site there's 11 of them) for each image and these images were indeed smushed. However, the full size images were skipped. You could let WP Smush optimize them too by enabling "Include my original full-size" images in WP Smush options and see if after running it that way it still does suggest smushing again after the process completes.

It would be best also to switch off caching entirely during the smushing process. It shouldn't affect optimization but it may affect information/status in some rare cases.

Just for security reasons though, I would recommend downloading entire /wp-content/uploads/ folder before running smush that way in order to keep a backup of original images (it shouldn't be necessary however) so you could re-upload it in case they went "over-optimized" :wink:

Let me know if that helped, please.

Kind regards,
    Adam