Detailed Instructions for CustomPress

Hi. I’m trying to find some detailed instructions for CustomPress. Specifically the “Public” and “Show UI” panes.

Thanks,

Chris

• chrispalle
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks, Phil. true, but the explanations are not totally clear; that is, they’re very tech-oriented. For example, under Public what does “Advanced – You can set each component manualy.” mean? (manually is misspelled, btw)

Also, for what do we use “query_var”? and what does “Publicly Queryable” mean?

Lastly, my custom types do not show up on category archive pages. Is there a setting here or do I need to create a custom archive page (similar to what I had to do for a single-[custom post].php)?

Thanks!

C

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

I see what you’re saying. However, I would note that to really use the custom post types once you created them would require some programming knowledge (i.e. in order to integrate them into your theme) so it’s expected that you’ll be familiar with the more bare bones aspects of WP custom post types.

I can explain what each of those mean if that would help you? I’d also recommend reading through the codex info on custom post types: http://codex.wordpress.org/Post_Types

Thanks

• chrispalle
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks again, Phil. Yes, I have some fairly good knowledge on customizing WP themes and plugins pre-3.0. Just picking it again. I actually have pretty deep knowledge on general CMS design as I’ve been doing Web custom stuff since the late ’90s when there wasn’t anything you could touch except Vignette for over 1MM. I’m more on the UX/Prod Owner side than I am an engineer, though. That said, I’ve had to build (hack together :slight_smile: a few PHP/MySQL and WP jobs in my day.

I guess my expectation is that in the absence of an archive-{custom-post}.php template, the default archive.php would be used to display a list of all the custom post types (which obviously isn’t happening).

Maybe this would be helpful? http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/custom-post-type-archives/

Thanks again for all your help, Phil.

C

• chrispalle
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

You know, what might also be helpful is a good manual/tutorial on Taxonomies, custom fields,and Custom post type best practices specifically for WP. I mean at the concept-level, not necessarily at implementation. As an IA, i’ve done some fairly large-scale navigation schemas for intranets, e-comm sites, etc. So, I’m very comfortable designing these things, but something that speaks to specifics of WP and its culture would be helpful. I’m mentoring some folks and some current explanations would be helpful for us to review together.

Thanks!

C

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.