Details about Membership & Prosites

Im getting ready to setup and configure membership and pro istes, but I am unclear as to how they work together.

Heres a quick backstory on how I want things to work so the comments below will make sense:

http://www.pictalo.com (prosite) will work as a prosite is expected to work.
- Pricing - $XXX Upfront and $XX a month

http://www.pro.pictalo.com Is a buddypress install. Members who sign up at pictalo.com are automatically signed up here (I have this already worked out.) Ideally, if someone isnt a member of pictalo.com, but wants to sign up here for a flat monthly subscription, they could do that.

THE QUESTIONS

I know with membership I can create the upfront pricing with finite/infinte subscriptions. My question is, do I install membership on the root or sub domain?

Does the above pricing model seem like it works with these two plugins?

• Timothy Bowers

Hey DannyOutlaw.

Im getting ready to setup and configure membership and pro istes, but I am unclear as to how they work together.

They will work together, side by side. But there is no heavy integration or anything.

http://www.pro.pictalo.com Is a buddypress install.

If this is a multsite install, then BuddyPress won't be independent on on a sub domain like that. It installs and runs on the main domain. You can however force it to display and function on a sub site with this in the wp-config.php file:

define ( 'BP_ENABLE_MULTIBLOG', true );
    Also you may get some issues using subdomain.subdomain.domain.com

I know with membership I can create the upfront pricing with finite/infinte subscriptions. My question is, do I install membership on the root or sub domain?

Does the above pricing model seem like it works with these two plugins?

Which ever site the protected content/download will be on will be the site you want to install membership on.

Take care.

• Dannyoutlaw

They will work together, side by side. But there is no heavy integration or anything.

I guess I dont understand how I use membership for the billing for prosites. I need prosites registration to be able to setup the sub-domains, but I need membership do handle the billing.

If this is a multsite install, then BuddyPress won't be independent on on a sub domain like that.

True. Sort of. By modifying BP internal settings I can specif a single blog
    define ( 'BP_ROOT_BLOG', 3 );

The bp install will only be used for its forums and groups. Users wont be creating sites/blogs.

Which ever site the protected content/download will be on will be the site you want to install membership on.

Knowing the above, would I still install membership on the sites with the protected content, even though I want to use it to setup the payments for prosites?

Side note, why doesn't prosites have the same sort of subscription plans as membership? ie finte, serial, etc..

• Anders E

Hi!

You probably need to re-open this topic to get a response quicker. It's marked as resolved now.

I'm just another member here but let's see if i can help you a bit.

Pro Sites is used to let users upgrade specific blogs they have created. So a user can have multiple blogs upgraded or not.

Membership is used to limit access for users to content on one specific blog/site.

Pro Sites is aimed at blogs, and Membership is aimed at users on a specific blog. Pro Site handles billing for upgraded blogs and Membership handles billing for members access at a specific blog. So i don't think you can use Membership as billing for Pro Sites.

But if you describe what it is you want to sell, maybe we can figure out the best way to make it happen :slight_smile:

• Timothy Bowers

True. Sort of. By modifying BP internal settings I can specif a single blog

No, it's still true. It's not independent, it still feeds from the same tables on the same install. They are not separate.

As it stands at the moment there is no integrations between the two plugins.

So both plugins work independently.

I believe some form of integration is being considered for a future version of the forthcoming rewrite of Membership. But I could not confirm which release that will be in, sorry.

If this is crucial for you then unfortunately you would need a custom job. Not sure if you have a developer but you can post jobs for other developers on the following link:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs

Take care.

• Sammy

Sorry to reopen this ticket, but this sort of leads into my question since I had the same confusion in the beginning(assumed the two plugins worked together), but once I realized they don't, I deactivated both plugins. However, now I had all of these extra pages that were created and wasn't sure what to do, so... dumb me deleted them all. Then out of fear that I may have screwed something up, I went into my cPanel and deleted both plugins. Then I went into my wpmudev dashboard and reinstalled the ProSites plugin. So here are my few unresolved questions:

Q: Will anything that I did(explained above) screw up my site?

Q: I believe the only page that ProSites creates is the "Pro" page. Correct?

Q: If that's the case, am I able to rename the page manually or do I need to change it in the ProSites Settings page?

• Timothy Bowers

Q: Will anything that I did(explained above) screw up my site?

Removing the plugin shouldn't screw your site up. obviously if you had certain things protected, they won't still be protected.

Q: I believe the only page that ProSites creates is the "Pro" page. Correct?

That's correct.

Q: If that's the case, am I able to rename the page manually or do I need to change it in the ProSites Settings page?

If you're wanting a new slug, then permanently delete the page (not just trash, totally remove). Then go to your Pro Sites admin area and add the branding name of your choice. Hit save a new page will be made for you.

Best to open up a new thread for any further questions, that ensure we don't confuse issues with this thread. It also means the original poster won't receive email updates of new responses :slight_smile:

Cheers.