Did I set up my domain mapping right?

This is my first Multisite that I built to help me manage the websites of my small clients. I have three static client sites with a couple pages each that I built on separate WordPress installs plus my personal food blog. When I decided to merge them, I exported the content from each site using the WordPress import/export tools and recreated the settings, widgets and everything else manually within multisite. I figured that would be easier than merging databases and what not.

After I finished mapping the domains, I noticed that the URLs were mapped to the right pages on the new multisite host but the image links were still tied to the subdomain in multisite. So the image links for reggieandjimsbbq.com were on bbq.bfh.wpengine .com.

I changed the domain under the edit screen on the all sites network page for one site, but then I noticed I couldn't go from site to site on my network. I have to login like they're separate sites and for me that defeats the convenience of the multisite, so I'm pretty sure I did something wrong.

Also this post:
https://wordpress.org/support/topic/featured-image-paths-in-mapped-subdomains
leads me to believe that the domain mapping plugin was supposed to change the site domains in the database automatically but it didn't?

I've never done this before so I'm not sure what the end result is supposed to look like.

• Sajid

Hi @Felicia

Hope you are doing good today and welcome to WPMUDEV :slight_smile:

I have mapped a domain on my own site and that did not changed the URL in All sites edit section either. It does not suppose to do that change for you automatically. I have its own database table where it keeps the records of mapped domain and redirect subsite to mapped domains from there. Also I think it should not because when you deactivate this plugin then you do not have to make those changes back and revert settings. That's is its designed to work independent of WP core.

I changed the domain under the edit screen on the all sites network page for one site, but then I noticed I couldn't go from site to site on my network. I have to login like they're separate sites and for me that defeats the convenience of the multisite, so I'm pretty sure I did something wrong.

For autologin on mapped domains. There is option of "Cross-domain autologin" in Network Settings > Domain Mapping > Mapping Options. Setting this to yes, will auto login on all of your sites in network.

Alternatively you can also use original domain for administration and login sections from Network Settings > Domain Mapping > Mapping Options.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.