Difference between "Domain" and "Siteurl" in site settings?

I have my muti-site WordPress set as a sub-domain type. Then I installed the domain mapping plugin. However, I noticed that the sub-domain is sometimes used. Can I change the Siteurl in the site settings to my intended http://custom-domain1.com? I think I have seen that changing the "Domain" is what would mess things up. Can anyone shed light on this please?

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Basem,

I believe the sub-domain would only be used when accessing the site's back-end, is that what you're referring to?

There's not a way to change that if so. But that wouldn't affect anything as far as users accessing the site or as far as search engines go.

-David

• Basem
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I am ok with sub-domains in the backend only. My problem is that when WordPress sends out emails and provides links to get back to the site, it is using my sub-domain URL. For example, I changed the site's email address and it said:

------
    Subject: New Admin Email Address
    Body:
    Dear user,

You recently requested to have the administration email address on
    your site changed.
    If this is correct, please click on the following link to change it:
    http://subname.master-domain.com/wp-admin/options.php?adminhash=fd2k32jhkjbc493b74452460d5e6d910

You can safely ignore and delete this email if you do not want to
    take this action.

This email has been sent to info@xyz.com

Regards,
    -------
    I am concerned that other system emails have this sub-domain as the root link.

• Basem
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I updated the "Siteurl" under Network Admin > Sites > MyDomain > Settings. This did the trick for notifications too. By the way, I did NOT change "Domain" under Network Admin > Sites > MyDomain which I know may mess things up. I left that part as the sub-domain. I just hope the "Siteurl" is purely a literal for templates and won't mess anything up either.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.