Difference between global site search and custom google search?

Sorry if this is a dumb question....

What is the difference between the global site search and the custom google search plugins? Just trying to figure out if I need 1 (and which one) or both.

Thanks!

• Arun Basil Lal

Hello Ittavi,

Welcome to WPMU Dev! You know, there is no need to apologize for asking, that is what we are here for. To help!

The bundled search functionality of WordPress is very poor, it is like a 1995 search engine, and finding what you are looking for is quite hard unless you know exactly what to look for. There are many plugins to enhance WordPress search.

The Global Site Search has enhanced search capabilities but other than that it can search across all sites on a Multisite/BuddyPress network. Suppose you have sites like site1.maindomain.com about Vintage Cars and site2.maindomain.com about Bikes and so on, this plugin lets a user search across all sub-domains.

Custom Google Search is a plugin that uses Google Custom Search (http://www.google.com/cse/) and helps you integrate that into your site. Google CSE uses Google's search algorithms and the results are very relevant (as on Google.com). Integrating Google CSE can be hard (if you go the normal route), but this plugin makes it all easy.

I hope you spot the difference now! Let me know if you want any more clarification or if you want help choosing one that fits your need :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Arun Basil Lal

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.