Difference between members directory, directory and classifieds

Hello

I am not clear on the differences between the members directory, directory and classifieds. It looks like I would want an integration of all 3 because I want to build a talent database/directory like LinkedIn.

I want to make it better than linkedin with more focused profiles and ways to search based on key words, profiles and possibly even a numbered classification system for ranking talent.

For example, users would rate their skill level on a 1 to 5 scale for specific core competencies.

You could search for talent and skill level, and include other factors.

Users could also post 'classifieds' advertising new skills learned or experiences gained, etc.Employers looking for talent could post ads and job openings.

Dustin

• DavidM

Hi Dustin,

To help clarify things, Members Directory provides a listing of the members on your site, very similar to how BuddyPress provides a list of members.

On the other hand, Directory and Classifieds are actually very similar, with the focus of each being slightly different. Directory is meant more for directory listings like perhaps a shareware directory or listing of golf courses. Whereas Classifieds is more for a site like craigslist or eBay (without the auction), letting users sell items on site.

What you're describing actually seems more like something BuddyPress is built to handle, given all the integrated profile customization capabilities plus member listing. Membership can provide all the restrictions you might want to keep things hidden from non-members and I can see you've already delved into that much given your other threads.

We can go more into detail on the specifics through your other threads and through any new threads you create on the matter.

Cheers,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.