Difference between Membership 2, Membership 2 Pro and Membership Pro

The dropdown in this contact form only gives me the option to select WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin, but this is really about the Membership plugin.

In 2013 I started with your Membership plugin (bellscompendium.com is the site). Then in May 2015 I upgraded it and currently have Membership Pro (upgrade message says this name) or Membership Premium (plugin list says this name).

Your Dashboard plugin (also installed on the site) tells me that there's an upgrade available, but it's to Membership 2 and it is giving me a warning that if I upgrade to Membership 2 it will override/delete Membership Pro.

This is so confusing.

1. What exactly is the latest version of your membership plugin?

2. Do you have more than one Membership plugin? If so, what are the differences (so I can decide which one I need)?

3. Once I understand which Membership plugin upgrade I need, I will need to know what the upgrade procedure is.

The site is using Wordpress 4.4. My plugins page tells me I have WPMU Dev Dashboard Version 3.5.3 and Membership Premium Version 3.5.3.3.

I just paid $19 to renew my Monthly Membership. The Dashboard plugin main page doesn't reflect my membership and said I was only a Free Member. But the Dashboard Manage page does reflect my recent payment and current status. Another confusing item!

Thank you for your help...

• Tyler Postle

Hey @creativewebguru,

Hope you're doing well today! Happy to help clear this up for you.

1. What exactly is the latest version of your membership plugin?

Membership 2 Pro 1.0.2.5.

2. Do you have more than one Membership plugin? If so, what are the differences (so I can decide which one I need)?

We only have the one. Membership 2. There is the free version(limited features) on wordpress.org here: https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/membership/

Then the pro version on our site here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/

Membership 2 is a rewrite of Membership Premium, which we refer to as Membership 1 now.

You will want to upgrade to Membership 2 as we no longer update or even list Membership 1 anymore.

Membership 2 has all the same protection rules as Membership 1 plus a lot more. It also has a completely new user interface too so it will feel like a completely different plugin when you update but as you play around with it you will see there are many of the same functions.

3. Once I understand which Membership plugin upgrade I need, I will need to know what the upgrade procedure is.

The upgrade notice you see is part of the upgrade procedure to Membership 2.

1. You will want to make sure you have the latest versions of our dashboard plugin and the Membership 1 plugin, which you already do :slight_smile:

2. Continue with the upgrade process as the Membership 2 upgrade banner suggests.

3. Once upgraded and you navigate to the Membership 2 menu it will bring you directly to the importer page so you can import your Membership 1 members, subscriptions, and the connection between them to Membership 2.

****Important note: Your protection rules won't be imported as we use a new system for that in M2, so you will need to re-set those up for each of your subscriptions(memberships).

After that you should be all good to go :slight_smile:

Of course, make sure you do a backup before hand just to be on the safe side, that way if anything goes wrong then you can easily just revert back and try again.

Any further questions just let us know.

Cheers,
    Tyler

I just paid $19 to renew my Monthly Membership. The Dashboard plugin main page doesn't reflect my membership and said I was only a Free Member. But the Dashboard Manage page does reflect my recent payment and current status. Another confusing item!

That's odd, can you go to:

WPMU DEV > Manage > click the "edit" link beside the API key - this will reset your api key and prompt you to login again, see if it shows you as a single plugin member then.

• creativewebguru

Thanks, the Dashboard now shows my current status. But the installation is not happening.

I end up in a loop between several steps:

In the Dashboard, I click to upgrade. It sends me to the WPMU DEV website, the Membership plugin page that shows an Install button.

I click the Install button and it sends me to my Dashboard and a list of plugins. I scroll down to the Membership one and click the download button.

It sends me to the website, and the same Install button.

Screenshots attached. Help!

• Tyler Postle

Can you grant support access so I can take a closer look?

You can grant support access via WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

If you're unable to do that through our dashboard then you can send in your wp-admin credentials.

You can send that privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

It will be better to do the update through the upgrade button to make sure it all goes smoothly. I should be able to spot whats going wrong here once I've logged in.

Look forward to hearing back.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

I see what you mean, it looks like you aren't getting the Membership 2 upgrade banner. No worries though :slight_smile: we can initiate the upgrade another way.

Do a full site back up just to be on the safe side. Then follow these steps:

1. Deactivate and delete your current Membership plugin

2. Go to: WPMU DEV > Plugins. and download Membership 2 Pro.

3. Once you activate Membership 2 Pro, go through the setup wizard and create the first membership. Then you will see new menu items come up, go to:

WPMU DEV > Settings > Import Tool.

Select to Import data from "Membership (WPMU DEV)"

Once the importing is done then you should have all your members and subscriptions moved over to Membership 2.

If you have any further questions just let me know.

All the best,
    Tyler

• creativewebguru

Thank for your help, Tyler! You've been great. Need some more help, though -- I see how to turn on shortcodes in the Add-Ons, but they don't seem to function the same way as they used to.

I figured out how to use a shortcode around a piece of content to DISPLAY it to specific membership levels. Good enough.

But is there a way to HIDE a piece of content from specific membership levels? It used to be a shortcode like this: [not-level-subscriber-full-access][/not-level-subscriber-full-access] (anything inside the shortcode would be hidden from the subscriber-full-access level and shown to everyone else, including non-registered, non-logged-in guest visitors)

Use case: On the home page, I want a sales message for the public. But I want that hidden for the members.

• Tyler Postle

No problem! Happy to help further :slight_smile:

But is there a way to HIDE a piece of content from specific membership levels? It used to be a shortcode like this: [not-level-subscriber-full-access][/not-level-subscriber-full-access]

We have added a parameter to the regular protection shortcode to do this. So you have seen that normally to protect content to a specific membership only you would use this now:

[ms-protect-content id="22"]content is visible to only membership with id=22[/ms-protect-content]

To hide this content from only that membership you would add the "access" parameter like this:

[ms-protect-content id="22" access="no"]this membership is hidden from only members with membership id=22[/ms-protect-content]

You can also add more memberships to the id= parameter by separating them with commas.

Also, is there a shortcode for non-members (public visitors to the website)?

There is! You can use [ms-user], this one ignores the memberships altogether and is only for the user/visitor in general. Example, if you want to show something only to guests, then you would use this shortcode:

[ms-user type="guest"] only a guest can see this [/ms-user]

If you want to show it to only logged in users then you can use this shortcode:

[ms-user type="loggedin"] Any logged in user can see this [/ms-user]

Display only to admin:

[ms-user type="admin"] only the logged in admin can see this [/ms-user]

Hope that helps! If you have further questions just let us know.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.