difference between Multi-Domains and 'network of networks' Networks+/WP-Networks

I'm trying to get my head around the difference between WPMUDev's Multi-Domains plugin and the Networks+ or WP-Networks plugins that are available elsewhere. Are these other plugins complimentary with Multi-Domains, or do they basically do the same thing as Multi-Domains?

Thanks for any advice on this!

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

First off, Multi-Domains is unlikely to play nice with these multi-network plugins because of the way they work.

As for the difference, on a multisite, your sub-sites would usually use the main domain, like so;
    sub1.maindomain.com
    sub2.maindomain.com
    sub3.maindomain.com
    etc...

Multi-domains allows you to use a different domain for some or all sub-sites, like so;
    sub1.maindomain.com
    sub2.otherdomain,com
    sub3.maindomain.com
    etc

The multi-network plugins allow you turn a sub-site into another Multisite network.

Thanks,
    Phil

• pxjenkins
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks Phil - that's very clearly explained.

So what, if any, advantage might there be in installing a multi-network plugin?
    If using Multi-Domain allows admin or a user to create sub2.otherdomain.com, for example, how would being able to create subsub1.sub2.otherdomain.com grant any additional functionality in the real world?

I notice that the guys who created this site: http://www.umw.edu/
    used a multi-network approach; but in casting around the site I can't figure how this gave them any advantage over using a multi-domain approach...

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Honestly I'm not sure. Personally I'd avoid it because I think it creates more problems that it can potentially solve. I'm much more a fan of having separate installs if separation of networks is a requirement. It's an extra overhead to manage but worth it.

Thanks

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.