Difference between Site activation and Network activation?

Can someone outline the difference between configuring the Membership plugin at the Network versus the Site level? I am setting up a membership site where we will have a main social networking site running BuddyPress, and multiple member blogs as secondary sites. I'm assuming I should install the Membership plugin on the main site only?

• Barry

If you want to control content and signup on a single main blog/site then activate it only on that site. If you want all sites/blogs to be able to run their own membership sites (as distinct membership systems) then Network activate it. If you want a single membership system to control access across all sites/blogs in your network then set the GLOBAL_TABLES setting to true and network activate the plugin.

• antKat

Hi Barry,
    Could you please clarify the last sentence of your last thread relative to network activation without the global_tables set to true. You wrote:
    "If you want a single membership system to control access across all sites/blogs in your network then set the GLOBAL_TABLES setting to true and network activate the plugin. "

In our scenario:
    1. We are not looking to have our subsites set-up their own memberships.
    2. We would like to have all visitors throughout the network register at our main site.
    3. When a visitor tries to access a subsite, they would need to register at the main site and then request access to the subsite via Friends -

I suppose this description sounds a lot like a Facebook model, except our main site and user's sites provide more content than Facebook. Based on my description, how should I set-up Membership?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.