Difference between WPMU's Affiliate plugin and Tips and Tricks Affiliate plugin?

Can you tell me if your affiliate plugin is better or the same as another one that I found at http://www.tipsandtricks-hq.com/wordpress-affiliate-platform-plugin-simple-affiliate-program-for-wordpress-blogsite-1474?

I was curious if you could tell me the differences between the Affiliate plugin from WPMU and this other one?

Thanks,
Gary

• phillcoxon

I've used the Tips and Tricks plugin and it is very good for a stand-alone WordPress website or in conjunction with a bunch of shopping carts and membership software packages.

It also ties in very closely with their own basic shopping cart system.

It offers greater flexibility in terms of types of affiliate commissions: Percentage based commission, Fixed amount commission per sale, Pay-Per-Lead and you can do things like give specified affiliates a greater level of commssion.

The support is excellent and the developer responsive.

Overall I found it a somewhat confusing plugin to use (huge amounts of configuration options) but it worked really well and I will be using it again in future.

What I can't say is how well it integrates with other WPMUdev products. For use with ProSites, Membership, Directory and MarketPress plugins it may well be better to stick with the Affiliate plugin if it meets your needs. Bonus: it is free with your membership :slight_smile:

• Gary M. Gordon

Phill,

Thanks. When you say that Tips and Tricks offers greater flexitility in terms of types of affiliate commissions, percentage, fixed, pay per lead, etc. Does WPMU Affiliate plugin allow for percentage, fixed amounts, pay per lead, etc.? If not, what type of limitations are there?

Overall, I haven't been overly excited about the plugin in WPMU. I often find they sound good initially, but then don't seem to pack the punch that I'm looking for.

So .. do you think that Tips and Tricks is a more robust "Affiliate" type of plugin than the WPMU Affiliate plugin .. overall?

I'm not so concerned with the one plugin playing with others. I'm just looking for a good Affiliate plugin and one that is continuously updated/upgraded over time with new features, etc.

Gary

• phillcoxon

Yes, the Tips & Tricks is a full standalone system. It works entirely on it's own.

The WPMUdev Affiliate plugin is enabled in Network Admin but does nothing by itself unless you are using Membership, Directory, ProSites or MarketPress. With any of these installed you'll find additional options for adding affiliate commissions on products in their respective settings.

But... the overall flexibility and options available for running an affiliate system are far, far greater in the Tips & Tricks plugin.

So for a simple affiliate system that works with the above WPMUdev plugins then Affiliate can work well.

If you want to use an affiliate system on general WP websites or with major shopping carts or membership software outside of WPMUdev then Affiliate isn't going to be suitable.

Does that help?

• Kimberly

Phil is right on here, If you need a robust affiliate management system, then the other is the way to go. Our version is meant to give you flexibility for the existing plugins and basic tracking for clicks and conversions for your overall affiliate program. With optional use of banners or links.

The difference between a plugin and a fully featured management system is going to be apparent in any comparison between something built to be a standalone tool, and something meant to be a supplementary tool :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.