Different Issues - Payment Types, Thumbnail Size, Taxonomy, Listings

Thank you for a great plugin. Having some issues that I am not quite sure how to go about figuring out.

First, how can I create a three different payment types like Bronze, Silver, Gold? I am offering visitors the option to choose three different payment packages for different prices - pretty much exactly how you have yours here https://premium.wpmudev.org/membership/#pricing

I asked this question before I made the purchase and was told this is possible but I cannot figure out how to do it.

Also, the thumbnail images are really small in the Listings page, and also not very big in the single listing's page. I can't find where in the CSS to change this. Can you please tell me where to do this?

Another thing is the Taxonomy. How do I accomplish this?

I went to Custom Press and set it up but I am not seeing the taxonomies in the backend of the listings posts like in the "Taxonomy-Backend" screenshot. I would like to have my listings like they are laid out on your site - screenshot "Directory-Categories-Page"

Thank you for your help!! :slight_smile:

• aristath

Hello here @Ethan,

First, how can I create a three different payment types like Bronze, Silver, Gold? I am offering visitors the option to choose three different payment packages for different prices

What exactly will you offer on your site?
    If it is a network installation and you wish to offer your users the ability to create new sites with bronze, silver and gold plans, then the Pro-sites plugin is what you need: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/

If on the other hand you want to restrict access to areas of your site based on your users plan (bronze, silver, gold) then the Membership plugin is what you'll need: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/

Also, the thumbnail images are really small in the Listings page, and also not very big in the single listing's page. I can't find where in the CSS to change this. Can you please tell me where to do this?

Could you please post a link to a listing on your website so that I may see this in action?

I went to Custom Press and set it up but I am not seeing the taxonomies in the backend of the listings posts like in the "Taxonomy-Backend" screenshot. I would like to have my listings like they are laid out on your site - screenshot "Directory-Categories-Page"

I would advise you to simply press "edit" on the listing_tag taxonomy that is included with Directory, write down its settings and then duplicate them on your own taxonomy. That's what I did and it worked fine...

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Ethan

Hi aristath ,

What exactly will you offer on your site?
    If it is a network installation and you wish to offer your users the ability to create new sites with bronze, silver and gold plans, then the Pro-sites plugin is what you need: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/

If on the other hand you want to restrict access to areas of your site based on your users plan (bronze, silver, gold) then the Membership plugin is what you'll need: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/

I would like to give my visitors the option to choose different pricing depending on how long their directory listing will be live on my site.

For instance, the Bronze Package will cost say $20 and their listing will be live for 30 days, Silver $40 live 60 days, Gold $60 live 90 days. So I need to have an option for visitors to pick one of those three prices. And once the transaction is complete, they will be able to create a listing. Is membership or pro used for that?

Could you please post a link to a listing on your website so that I may see this in action?

Sure here is the link - http://testsite.goodlayers2.com/listings

I would advise you to simply press "edit" on the listing_tag taxonomy that is included with Directory, write down its settings and then duplicate them on your own taxonomy. That's what I did and it worked fine...

Okay, I will try this.

Thank you for your reply!!

• aristath

I would like to give my visitors the option to choose different pricing depending on how long their directory listing will be live on my site.

Oh, I see...
    Out of the box the Directory plugin offers just 2 options:
    One-time payments and Recurring payments.
    It does not support a structure like the one you described above. However I think you could achieve that by combining Directory with Membership and writing some custom code to get exactly what you want.

Sure here is the link - http://testsite.goodlayers2.com/listings

And how large do you want these images to be?

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Ethan

Oh, I see...
    Out of the box the Directory plugin offers just 2 options:
    One-time payments and Recurring payments.
    It does not support a structure like the one you described above. However I think you could achieve that by combining Directory with Membership and writing some custom code to get exactly what you want.

This is a little problematic as I made sure I asked about this feature being available before I made the purchase, and was told that it was... I even have the emails saying so. I wasn't expecting to have to write custom code or pairing Directory with another plugin - which I suppose pairing with Membership isn't too bad. But I am not able to custom code.. So not really sure what to do from here...

And how large do you want these images to be?

I'm not really sure on this. Maybe 175x175, and then the single image listing close to the 300 width..

• aristath

This is a little problematic as I make sure I asked about this feature being available before I made the purchase, and was told that it was... I even have the emails saying so.

Fortunately I also have the emails of your conversation with @Jack Kitterhing before purchasing the plugin and he was telling you exactly what I'm saying. I'm quoting Jack:
    "you can set recurring Daily, Weekly, Monthly or Yearly payment plans. Use a one off payment system, or use a credit system."
    And at a later email:
    "In total there are 3 different ways you can define for the user to pay with, they can pre-purchase credits to use for adding listings, A one time payment or a recurring subscription, the recurring subscription can be, Daily, Weekly, Monthly or yearly. You can use all 3 of the payment ways at once, but the subscription the time must be set, for example, you can't use daily and weekly together."
    So I don't see any references in there to support what you want to do.

I'm not really sure on this. Maybe 175x175, and then the single image listing close to the 300 width..

I tried accessing your site again to write some custom CSS that you would be able to use and it seems like the content is now protected and I can't access it to write it for you... Can you please re-enable it so that I may write that CSS for you?

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Ethan

Yes, the first response was from Mike Copestake and the second from Jack.

This was my initial question that I have copied and pasted from our email:

Can I set up the Directory plugin to give visitors options to choose a payment plan, kind of exactly like you have the option to choose a Bronze, Silver or Gold package - like at this url - https://premium.wpmudev.org/join/#signup

Response from Mike:

Yeah, you can set recurring Daily, Weekly, Monthly or Yearly payment plans. Use a one off payment system, or use a credit system.

Then my response to Mike was (but Jack responded):

Okay, so this means that there is a section in the admin of Directory that allows to set up for multiple payments options? I ask and want to make sure because in the screenshots I saw only one location so it seemed like you couldn't have more than one option.

Jack's response:

In total there are 3 different ways you can define for the user to pay with, they can pre-purchase credits to use for adding listings, A one time payment or a recurring subscription, the recurring subscription can be, Daily, Weekly, Monthly or yearly. You can use all 3 of the payment ways at once, but the subscription the time must be set, for example, you can't use daily and weekly together.

Okay, so this is a little confusing to me. I explicitly asked my question twice (maybe it didn't make sense at first like it didn't for you :slight_frown: So they were thinking I was asking something else... But Mike did say yes in the beginning. And then Jack posted his response but he never really confirmed yes or no. But from reading his response and Mike's, I was under the impression I could get the functionality I was looking for. Maybe I misunderstood something too?

I tried accessing your site again to write some custom CSS that you would be able to use and it seems like the content is now protected and I can't access it to write it for you... Can you please re-enable it so that I may write that CSS for you?

Sorry, I have since our last communication enabled Membership plugin and it must have made that page protected. Not sure why it did that!! All I've done so far is activate Membership. I didn't tell it to make the Listings page protected. LOL

Weird. Anyway, can you not jut tell me what file in Directory determines those thumbnails sizes so I can play around with the dimensions myself and see what works best? What if I don't like the size of 175x175? Then I would have to respond back here and wait for another response. Although you're support has been lightning fast. :slight_smile:

• Ethan

Okay, this is really upsetting and disappointing. It seems like I am just left hanging now because the original support person that responded to this thread doesn't have an answer or just does not want to deal with me.

It has been two days since I have gotten a followup to my response, and 16 hours since my last request for support/suggestions.

Should I just go ahead and request a refund since it does not seem I am getting the product and support that is advertised on this site?

• aristath

@Ethan I'm sorry it took me so long to reply, I just had a day off!
    Try this: install this plugin http://wordpress.org/plugins/my-custom-css/ and activate it. This way we'll be able to write some custom CSS where it won't be deleted if you update your theme or plugins.
    Next, add this CSS to it:

div#dr_listing_list div.dr_listing .entry-post a img {
      width: 100px;
      height: auto;
    }

Let me know if that works for you...

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Ethan

Ari,

Thank you for your response.. So I can know regarding the pricing plans, I have to figure this out on my own right? Even though when I asked about it as a pre sales question I was told it was doable? You are completely ignoring this issue. What is the reason for that?

Thank you for the code, but if I can't get the pricing plans to work, the directory plugin is not going to be a viable solution, as it does not work as advertised. I will wait another day to hear from you. If I do not hear back or a response that addresses the payment issue, I will contact support directly again and inquire about the functionality or go through the proper channels in requesting a refund.

Thank you.

• aristath

So I can know regarding the pricing plans, I have to figure this out on my own right?

From what I know what you want is not doable. However there might be a way I haven't thought of, so I have notified the plugin developer about this. Perhaps he can figure out a way to do what you want...

Even though when I asked about it as a pre sales question I was told it was doable? You are completely ignoring this issue. What is the reason for that?

Excuse me, but you were not told that what you want is doable. During pre-sales my colleagues told you EXACTLY what is doable using this plugin, and this was not in their replies.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Arnold

You need to combine it with Membership. Membership lets you make as many levels as you like with different payment options.

There are several ways to approach it.

You can go the Roles route. In setting up levels in Membership in the Advanced tab when setting up rules you can set the Associated Role for a given level. So you could create Bronze, Silver and Gold Roles and levels to match in Membership with their prices. Then you can set the capabilities in Directory for each of those roles. That gives you more payment methods and your subscriptions and expirations.

Then you can use the roles and levels to decide what to show in your directoryusing the Embed codes from CustomPress. Takes some minor custom programming

if(current_user_can('gold') ) {
    ...display some stuff
    }

You can Also use Directopries "directory_full_access" filter.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/using-membership-and-directory-together

Which you can use to control acces for almost any reason.

• Ethan

Hi Arnold, thank you so much! I tried a combination of Membership and Directory. And I think I was able to get most of it worked out!!!! I THINK LOL

I have not tried any of the filters yet, but will definitely look into it. I think I was able to get the pricing plans, directory and membership without having to do any custom coding :slight_smile: But we will see.

I was getting conflicting messages before on my presales questions. And then the last support person really didn't like me and was of no help.

Thank you for stepping in and helping point me in the right direction.

I have the subscriptions set up and certain pages locked. ONLY thing I see now is that whenever a purchase is made, and the user is redirected to my site, they are not automatically set as say a "bronze" user (which not gives them access to certain pages, like the "add-listing" that is created by Directory plugin. It takes about a minute for them to get access to the page that is protected. This is Paypal and is setup on a sandbox. Do you think that could be the reason?

• aristath

@Ethan yes, I am support staff and Arnold is the developer.
    It's only natural that devs know more things than the support staff!
    We try to handle most questions ourselves so that devs can go on doing what they do best... and that's coding!
    When things get too technical though or a modification is required that we don't know how to do, we ask them to help out on the forums 'cause they know their plugins processes better than anyone. :slight_smile:

I'm glad Arnold was able to help you out on this one!

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.