MarketPress: Different prices for different Countries

Hej,

I have a client that wants to sell the same product with a different price according to the clients country.

That means that each product has 3 prices ( UK, US, EU).
I need the store to show only the right price in the right currency based on IP address of the visitor.

Any suggestion how to implement this one?

Thanks,

Koff

• ThePath

Hi koff, interesting feature there. I dont even think Ive seen it in other ecommerce softwares! Could be quite useful though.

If you need an immediate solution however I would suggest using WP multisite. So you will have the main site and create two sub sites which will essentially mirror the main site.

So the main site might be the UK with all the products in £'s and at the UK price then have the subsites with the same products and varying prices in dollars and euros.

I suppose this raises issues of duplicate content with google but I guess you could vary the desciptions slightly to combat that. Or you could block search engines from the subsites and when users first hit the website ask where they are from (or closest too) If the select the US then they get punted to the US subsite etc

Out of interest though, could this way of pricing piss people off a bit....I know the big electronics folk do it, amongst others etc. But most small to medium sellers sell at one price and the shipping changes.

Just thought of my own feature request for Marketpress: Automatic currency changer. So you could have a store in GBP but have a selector on the front end so folks from the US can get prices in bucks. Mmm need to add this to my thread on feature requests.

• ThePath

Hi Koff

Well yeh it would have to be built in a certain way so users didnt see other countries prices as it always pisses me off when I see it cheaper elsewhere but then you always get killed by shipping overseas anyway so prob averages out.

Anyway dude for this to work the user would have to be logged in with their address all filled out in the backend so Marketpress could link in to it and display the appropriate price for each product. So it kinda brings me back to my pissed off point....what price do you display first?

So Im not a customer yet and so not logged in.....what price do I see? Its all well and good having a landing page but Google will spider your actual products and so I could gain direct access to a product page without going to the landing page. So the site has no way of knowing where I am, unless you link into IP but this can be unreliable. Anyway I arrive at your site being from the UK seeing a price in dollars that Im willing to pay, I log in and boom it changes to an increase price for the UK.......boooooo I say Im not buying that and leave. Just my two cents. Almost feels like false advertising...

You could also use shipping prices to gain the extra funds required for different countries I suppose. Not very elegant I grant you.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.