Difficulty creating home page contents with Wiki Pro

I'm having difficulty having my wiki output from Wiki Pro show up on the home page of my site. Followed the instructions from another document in the support archive but that didn't work. And in that process, my wiki slug now changes to wiki-home (even though I've since reversed that process - its ghost remains). Seems like a simple request to have the wiki content archive page show up as the home of the site, but sure doesn't seem to be.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Mark,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Wikis are posts of custom post types and as such cannot by default be used as "Front-page" by WordPress because WordPress allows to use "pages" (post type: page) only to be used that way. I'm not saying of course this cannot be done but it would require some "tweaking" and it would be very helpful if you could let me know what instruction exactly did you use for this.

I'm guessing it was one of the threads on our forum but I'm not sure which one. Could you please share a link to that guide with me here so I could take a look and then test it on my own setup and hopefully provide you with an updated and working procedure?

Best regards,
    Adam

• Mark

I can display individual wikis and subwikis (linkable from the parent wiki)directly at pages like the following: http://www.lopadatabase.com/wiki/independent-protection-layers/

But the whole idea of what we're trying to do is eventually a front-facing wiki that will be subscription based (with an additional plugin like Membership 2 Pro), but without having the ability to throw up a wiki archive shell on the home page, the whole attempt will be moot.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Mark,

Thanks for your response!

I run some tests on my test site and I think I came up with a solution that should work for you. Please note however that I checked this using default Twenty Fifteen theme and the guide below is based on this. Therefore some minor adjustments may be required here.

That said, after making sure that your Wiki is up and running fine follow these steps (you will need to access your site via FTP):

1. Go to "/wp-content/themes/YOUR_THEME/" folder and locate the main "archive.php" file
    2. Download it and edit:

- right after the opening

<?php

tag (and before anything else) put this code:

/*
    Template Name: WikiFront Page
    */

- find a line similar to this one:

<?php if ( have_posts() ) : ?>

- right above it put this code:

<?php
    		$args = array('post_type' => 'incsub_wiki');
    		query_posts( $args );
    ?>

- save the file
    - rename it to e.g. "page-front-wiki.php"

3. Upload that "page-front-wiki.php" file to your current theme's folder on your server ("/wp-content/themes/YOUR_THEME/")

4. Go to you site's dashboard to "Pages -> Add new" page and create a new regular WP page.
    5. In "Page Attributes" section select "WikiFront Page" template and save page

Now you should be able to visit this page and it should display the wiki archive

6. Go to "Settings -> Reading" page and select the page you just created as a front page.

This worked great on my setup and I think should work here as well. Let me know please if it helped and/or if you had any further questions on this.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.