Digital Download Problems and concerns

I had been searching the forums about the security risks of selling digital downloads. The information I saw seemed to be from last year and nothing current that I could find.

My main concern is If I sell digital download products, can that person give the link to someone else and they could download without paying? If so it doesn't make sense that this is really a feature but more a problem for the security of the product we are selling.

Thanks!

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Oops! I forgot about that, Thanks @pcwriter for that :slight_smile:

I couldn't download the product, plus there is the download limiting feature already. It seems the plugin can distinguish between computers, I created on here and tested it on multiple browsers, I was able to download them all. But the link of @Pcwriter failed for me, it took me to the product page instead.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/problems-navigating-the-forums#post-202949

Here is my link: http://millionclues.com/ptenc/store/products/digital-good-download/?orderid=0b918f811823

@Aaron - How is this managed? How does the plugin know the user?

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi Arun,

The failed link is excellent!

I had set the maximum to 5 downloads and clicked the link 5 times myself. On the 6th try, I was alerted that the maximum had been reached; on the 7th, I too was redirected to the product page.

So it would appear that, regardless of IP or user, the maximum is whatever is set in the backend.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

@Aaron
    Yes, a "This link has expired" alert prior to redirect to the product page would be good thing. I did get an alert on my last try saying that the limit had been reached, but on the next try, was simply redirected.

@Arun
    Thanks for the points! I can almost that 1000 getting closer...

:slight_smile:

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Sorry I had posted this in reply in another thread. I believe it fits better here.

Thanks @pcwriter and everyone. Sorry I didn't respond sooner as I had a long morning with doctors.
    To @pcwriter thanks for setting up the test store. I did see before I had posted where you could set the limit of download attempts and I was able to download yours 5 times. On the 6th time I didn't receive an error message or anything. I was just returned to the product page.

I know that there is a way to limit downloads to certain computers or ip address as I have purchased items from other companies. The product came with a 2 seat license so I could have program on my main computer and on my laptop. However I was only able to download it from the computer that I registered with.

I'll see if I can find a way to program this type of control into marketpress.

I'll read the rest of the posts I missed this morning.

Thanks Again!

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Hello @Aaron @pcwriter @Arun

I didn't see any alert saying that the limit had been reached when testing the site that @pcwriter had set up.

Is it at all possible to set up a page or message that would be displayed if our clients reach the limit with instructions on what they need to do.

For example:
    You have exceeded your download limit. In order to resolve this issue you must contact (enter contact data here) Pleas be sure to include your original order id that you received in your email.
    Sincerely (company name here)

A good place to add this option would be in the Store Settings/Messages section.
    This would make it easier for everyone to customize the message to fit their business style.

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

I don't recall if I had asked this question before or not.
    For the Digital Download section when each person makes a purchase and receives their download link, does the same link get generated for everyone?

Also when they click and follow the download link does the actual file location appear in the URL or anywhere else?

Thanks in Advance.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hold on a sec...

@Aaron says:

Yes, the download count is limited to the orderid, maximum times you click it per order. Doesn't matter who has the link.

And I said:

I had set the maximum to 5 downloads and clicked the link 5 times myself.

But @Dean says:

To @pcwriter thanks for setting up the test store. I did see before I had posted where you could set the limit of download attempts and I was able to download yours 5 times.

So, how was Dean able to download again if I had already hit the set limit? Sumpin' ain't kosher... :slight_smile:

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Hold on more than a sec!
    @pcwriter concern is very true and brings back my original concern. Even though I received the encoded link from @pcwriters post here, like he said since he used it 5 times, I should not have been able to use it at all.

So in theory currently I could make a purchase and download it 5 times. Then I could pass the link to my friends and they in turn could each download the same file 5 times each?

I sure hope that @Aaron can have a solution to this quickly. Right now my membership runs out on the 6th and I can't afford another month for awhile.

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

@pcwriter I think I figured out why I was able to download 5 times (I guess I should have held on for way more than a second before responding)

So I followed your link to your test store and made the purchase which set me up as a new client and sent me an email with a (I'm assuming) different encoded link. So this new link allowed me to download for the maximum downloads of what you had set as 5.

Sorry it took me so long to discover that is why I was able to download.

Too many Doctors appointments and too little sleep.

Hope this makes sense.

BTW my membership expires on the 6th so not sure how to keep in touch after that. Not sure when I'll be able to afford to renew. I'll be sending you more points soon!

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

@pcwriter I just confirmed my thoughts. I was able to go back to your store page and repurchase the test product and was able to download it 5 times. On the 6th attempt I still didn't see any message about reaching a download limit or anything. I was just taken back to the store page where again I could have made the purchase again and then received another 5 times to download it.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

@Dean

That explains it then. :slight_smile:

I was under the impression that you had been able to download from the link I had posted. But, if you had made another purchase, then you would have received a unique order-id by email. With that encoded link, you, as a new purchaser, would be able to download until you hit the set limit.

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

@pcwriter

The link you provided was a direct link to the product page of the book (is that a book you wrote?)

If you want to send me the link you received in your email I can test to make sure I can't download it since you already used the 5 times from your computer.
    Also here is the link from the past email I received from the purchase from the test store for you to try as well

Thanks!

http://etcemall.com/teststore1/store/products/test-digital-product/?orderid=f10e265adff9

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

@Dean

I tried the link you just posted and was redirected to the product page, so that confirms that the max download limit has been reached. The product in question is just an image of the front cover.

And yes, I did write that book. If you would like a free copy of the ebook - perhaps for after surgery - use the link below. My gift to you :slight_smile: The link is good for 2 times so, if it doesn't work at first...

Download : http://etcemall.com/teststore1/store/products/a-fork-in-the-road-a-journey-of-self-discovery/?orderid=a8a70e4e42a6

Happy reading :slight_smile:

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

@pcwriter Glad we figured out what was going on. I appreciate your gift and look forward to reading it soon.

I hope @Aaron will be able to get some sort of error message that will display about download limit exceeded or something to that effect soon. Hopefully before my membership expires on the 6th.

Sending some more points your way, hope you get your 1,000 soon!

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

@Aaron I ran into a problem for digital download products. I'm using the USPS shipping method and it wants to charge for shipping. At least I believe it is. When I tried to check out I received an error message that the total being sent to paypal didn't match the cart.

Hope this make sense. I'll be available until 5pm Chicago time and then hopefully if the surgery and test go well be back in the forum for 1 more day before my membership expires.

I really DO want to remain a member but with all of the medical bills and complications I just can't afford it. Wish I would have spent more time when I first joined trying to earn points but was in the hospital a couple of times during my first month.

Hopefully God's plan is to send me a lot of business when I've recovered which will allow me to rejoin. The real bummer is that I have absolutely no work booked for a couple of weeks for the recovery process! Would have been able to spend a ton of time in the forums. Anyway @pcwriter gave me a couple of ideas for reading material to help me learn CSS better.

Thanks Again! Really appreciate it.

PS hopefully I can get a solution to the shipping problem before the 6th. I believe that's the last day I'm paid up for.

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

@AAron I'll double check that again but when I use the USPS I believe that's when I received the error about the cart total didn't match and it wouldn't let me continue. So I figured that since the test download product was $0 and then it took me to the shipping page and showed the USPS prices (there wasn't an option for no shipping) it just added the default USPS price.

When I tested it with shipping set to no shipping the order went through fine however I had to manually mark the order shipped before it would send the link to the client.

Not sure if that was due to the fact that there was no charge for the test product. That's why I had asked @pcwriter how he did his test site to see what I was missing.

Thanks!

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

@Aaron I just did some extensive testing with various shipping methods. While in the PayPal live mode and the download product price set to $0 the follow were my results.
    with shipping set to No Shipping, the order went through fine and download details were emailed to client right away.

Any other shipping options client received and email without the download link, only the order reference.

I set up a sandbox account with PayPal and it appeared to work fine with all shipping methods however I was unable to test the USPS on my test site.

Not sure if this helps or confuses the situation more.

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi @pcwriter, No Problem I tested several different scenarios (see above post) and though I had it figured out via the live testing. When I set up a Sandbox account that shot some of my theory's out of the water.

On another note I'm leaving here in a couple hours for the hospital and won't be on for a few days depending on how things go.

Thanks Again for all of your support! Looks like you should have your 1,000 soon! Wish I was that close so I could continue on the site here.

Good luck and congrats when you get your 1000! You deserve it. Later...

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

@Aaron I just got of the phone with PayPal to see if the problem could be on their end. After all if everything worked in Sandbox mode in theory it should work the same way in live mode. After a couple of tests and apparently resetting my API credentials everything now seems to be working.

Thanks Again for all of your help!

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Thanks @Aaron for setting up the error message so quickly. Appreciate that. I didn't get a chance to test if there are some items that require shipping with the Downloadable products to see if the download product link is emailed directly, or if you need to mark the other items as shipped before the download link is available.

I know in my case (and I'm assuming others as well) the downloadable products should be available as soon as possible without having to mark the other items as being shipped.

For example you order a 16x20 wall portrait framed, in addition you order a downloadable file of that same image that you can post on Facebook, business website etc... It takes me about 3 weeks to get the portrait printed, mounted and shipped but they would really like to share online with other family and friends (which also should help me get new clients) If they have to wait 3 weeks for the download then the initial excitement is lost.

Thanks!

• Aaron
    • CTO

They can download as soon as marked as paid. Download links are always on the orderstatus page. There are only 2 emails though, one for order created (which will include the links if paid at the time of creation), and order shipped (which is always includes the links as requires payment).

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

@Aaron thanks for the clarification. I was worried as I'm off to the hospital soon and wanted to make sure anyone who placed an order will be able to get their downloads while I'm off.

Thanks Again!

rest assured I love this forum site and will have a couple of days left when I get back home. As soon as finances allow I will rejoin.

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

Hey @pcwriter, I'm sending you some more points, hope you get the 1,000 soon. I'll have 1 or 2 days left when I get back from hospital so will be frantically making sure I get everything working by then. You've been a great help as well as several folks here.

Thanks Again

• Dean Kaus
    • The Bug Hunter

@pcwriter Glad to see you made your 1,000 points. Wish there could be a miracle to get 1,000 points for myself quickly. I'm going to miss the forums here. I think I have a couple of days left.

Things went well at the hospital and still a bit out of it but all in all it could have been worse.

I have to check to see what happened while I was down. But I had a couple of clients say they didn't receive a download link. I believe by my first glance is that they never completed the payment via PayPal.

Later...

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.