Directory and Classifieds warnings - what are they?

I see a new version of both Directory and Classifieds, both mention warnings about conflicts in the changelog, as shown here: http://screencast.com/t/IrMk5EBe

So what are those warnings, if I already have both installed and activated?
FYI: I also have CustomPress tab but it shows it's not installed as a separate installation (screenshot: http://screencast.com/t/VzEdAYv3p7j ), if that matters at all.

Thank you.

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

Hi Clifford!

Currently the directory and classifieds plugins cannot be used at the same time. I believe they both come with custom post preinstalled. So there is no need for a separate custom post install.

Try using the directory or classifieds as both functions. Example:
    Classifieds for classifieds and a directory, you only have to change a few words if you prefer the way the directory plugin is set up then use it for both a directory and classifieds; again just change a few words so your useres know each is a directory or classifieds.

To do this you must be using a multisite install, and create a new site for a directory and a site for classifieds.

The nice thing about these being so closely related is you get to pick what plugin you like the best and use it for both. So give it try. Thanks Clifford!

• Clifford P
    • The Bug Hunter

Thanks for the reply, but I didn't quite understand everything you were trying to say.

1) I already (and have for a long time) have both Classifieds ( http://crescentridgehomeowners.com/classifieds/ ) and Directory ( http://crescentridgehomeowners.com/local-directory/ ) working together. Non-MultiSite.
    2) I don't agree that it's wise to install Classifieds plugin and just do Listings my own way via custom fields (that ships with both Classifieds and Directory plugin). Main reason is because of each's Settings page in wp-admin and BuddyPress integration and such.
    3) My original question was 'what are the warnings'. I'm still curious.

Thank you.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Clifford,

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up.

So what are those warnings, if I already have both installed and activated?

The warnings are that they are not to both be run simultaneously on the same site probably due to the fact they both share the same custom post types.

They can conflict with each other.

Cheers, Joe

• Clifford P
    • The Bug Hunter

Thank God for WP Engine's Staging server feature...

I updated both at the same time, got the message that both were updated successfully, and then got this nasty error that took my entire site down when trying to browse to any other front- or back-end page:

Fatal error: Warning: This version of Directory plugin cannot be used on the same install as the Classifieds plugin. We are working to correct this problem. Please only activate one or the other for this version.

in /.../wp-content/plugins/directory/loader.php on line 42

So what's the deal? Should I just not upgrade until the plugins are able to be used together?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Clifford,

Thank you for your additional input, it is appreciated.

Thank God for WP Engine's Staging server feature...

That may be the case in this situation, but I think thank God for hosting control panels backup feature which most people seem reluctant to employ for reasons unknown.

So what's the deal? Should I just not upgrade until the plugins are able to be used together?

That sounds like a good idea. However, though I do not personally know of what the outcome will be concerning current versions, but Arnold has indicated that he is working on a totally new MAJOR version of this plugin.

And until we get there, I do not know what other advice to offer you, but hope that the new major version will be compatible with the current versions data.

The new major version is supposed to make the current issue with running both plugins no longer an issue.

Until then ...

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.