Directory and Custompress

The website I am working on is a basic blog on the surface with the simple template from wpmu. Anyway, I have been asked to create a directory for this site as well which will operate as a separate section of the site. Just had to install custompress to fix an error with the directory listing and I am now intrigued by it's capabilities. Specifically the ability to add custom fields. In creating the listings, so far, I have to code out the html to separate sections for hours, telephone number, website, etc.
What I would like to do is simply create those fields in custompress and then just fill them in for each listing. If I add a field in custompress will that field be present in regular blog posts? Or is there a way I can designate that only directory listings contain those added fields? Thanks

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

infinitenothing

Hey and Thanks for using WPMUdev forums!

CustomPress will allow you to create as many custom fields as you like. :slight_smile:
    When you create custom fields in CustomPress you always associate them with a post type, so in your situation you would associate them with the directory post type.

Perhaps looking at the CustomPress Use Instructions can help clear up a few things, you would want to check out the screenshots of the settings for Custom Fields. CustomPress recognizes Directory already, so you can definitely use them together

If you need any further explanation on this please let me know! I believe that CustomPress will make your job much easier on this project

Best,

Kimberly

• infinitenothing
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Actually, I do see now that I can add fields specifically to the directory without effecting other areas of the blog. However, the first custom field I added was for hours and it also added a second star rating on the same page and disabled comments. Just so you know I have the comments plus plugin installed on this site too. Any idea what is going on here?

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

How are you displaying it? Are you using the shortcode in the post then?

Sorry I thought you had added into your template. :slight_smile:

you can add the code into the "wordpress loop" in your theme single.php or whichever template you are using for your posts

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings infinitenothing,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

• infinitenothing
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Okay, so the custom fields may be working. Now the author shows up on a listing. In custompress I have deselected "author" as a field and the author shows up on a listing anyway. I have checked settings in the theme and the author field is turned off there too.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

You may indeed want to remove the field from the theme you are using, I have done this without even using Custom Press due to the author displaying is embedded in the theme itself.

I am also wondering if you turn the author field on in Custom Press if you get two authors?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.