Directory broken after most recent update (2.0.3)

Hello I just updated the Directory from 2.01 to 2.0.3 and now it's not working. You can see the homepage which looks fine at:

http://somdwellness.com/

The problem is, when you click on a category or sub-category it shows an ugly error message:

Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to string in /home/content/50/9005350/html/wp-content/plugins/directory/core/template-tags.php on line 149

I switched over to the 2011 theme and same error occurs.

thanks for your help.

• aecnu

Greetings southernmdholistic,

I am sorry to hear that you are having this problem.

I confirm the error on your site and though I am not getting this error on my test site, I am using the included theme.

I am anticipating that you are using shortcodes with your theme?

I have gone ahead and notified the lead developer of the Directory plugin so he can see the error for himself and possibly offer us some advice/advise us as to the cure.

Cheers, Joe

• southernmdholistic

Thanks aecnu,

I don't think I'm using the shortcode on the homepage. It just appeared automatically when I installed the Directory Theme.

However, I am using the shortcode on this test page and I am getting the same result when I click on a category:
    http://somdwellness.com/test/

Which is the error message:
    Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to string in /home/content/50/9005350/html/wp-content/plugins/directory/core/template-tags.php on line 149

In addition to help with this issue, it would also be helpful if you could give me some guidelines and best practices for customizing the plugin. I made several changes to the style sheet like colors and removing the "Advartising" box and when I updated the Plugin, my changes disappeared. So now I need to do those again.

It makes me nervous to think that the plugin is going to break or my custom work will be lost when I update it.

take care

• aecnu

Greetings southernmdholistic,

I think we should first cover that your customizations are not lost when you perform updates.

There are a couple of ways of doing this. Of course the most obvious way to do this is to simply FTP your customized css file or other customized files to your computer and upload them after updates overwriting the replaced files.

Another option is to FTP in to your hosting and permission the customized files 444 read only.
    In this case you would want to FTP the unzipped files on your computer update to your hosting account which will insure that the files you marked 444 read only cannot be overwritten.

In addition to help with this issue, it would also be helpful if you could give me some guidelines and best practices for customizing the plugin. I made several changes to the style sheet like colors and removing the "Advartising" box and when I updated the Plugin, my changes disappeared. So now I need to do those again.

I had mentioned part of this above, another recommendation could be to upload the Directory theme into the themes folder, and renaming it as we have on our personal site simply to Directory and then make your changes there and activate that as the theme. The last I knew the Directory theme had the name of default.

Please advise if you are still having the Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to string in /home/content/50/9005350/html/wp-content/plugins/directory/core/template-tags.php on line 149 or any error aftre the update to the most current version 2.0.5

I await to hear from you.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.