Directory Capabilities Decisions

I want business owners in my community to post their listings for their businesses in directory, some free, some paid, some pay even more for premium listing if it has that ability. Alright, so how do I decide which role gets to do what? Subscribers - I'd think they might be too low of a level but perhaps not? contributor? author? I can see how to config the settings, but how do I decide who gets to do what in Directory?

• aecnu

Greetings y3kgeek,

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up.

I want business owners in my community to post their listings for their businesses in directory, some free, some paid, some pay even more for premium listing if it has that ability.

The Directory plugin offer a free level and a paid level but not both simultaneously.

It is an either/or situation.

Though I certainly appreciate your question and the way you want to apply the Directory plugin, it is also clear that this is not it's intended use or the way it is intended to be used.

Keeping in mind that you indicated that you want both free and paid levels, and paid levels with multiple levels, this will take some serious custom coding to make this happen which is well beyond the scope of this forum.

However, we can always put it in as a feature request which may or may not ever happen or alternatively you could see if there's a developer available at wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute.

Alright, so how do I decide which role gets to do what? Subscribers - I'd think they might be too low of a level but perhaps not? contributor? author? I can see how to config the settings, but how do I decide who gets to do what in Directory?

These are decisions you have to make based upon your business model or the way you want things to flow.

If these were set ways of doing this then there would have been no need to offer these options at all.

There is no set path for these options and there is no correct answer for every possibility and business model using the Directory plugin.

Obviously we cannot make these decisions for you.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• jdsullivan411

But I want you to make that decision for me! Or at least point in me in the right direction.

The thing is, this is a major huge site. It's not just a directory, it is also news publishing in several cities. So if I am assigning certain roles to business owners, could they not conceivably be getting access to be contributing writers, publishers of articles as well?

The flip side would be to have one staff person per city be responsible to creating the listings, however this would add to our costs. As a compromise, I'd like to allow business owners to post their listing, have it held in queue for moderation so that a staff person can verify that it is indeed a local company.

• aecnu

Greetings y3kgeek,

Sorry for the huge delay in a reply here, it seems that this ticket was not followed up on during my vacation and then upon my return I find the support rep that was supposed to be doing the follow up is no longer with WPMU Dev.

One of the largest mistakes in my opinion is that people tend to make with MultiSites is the single site thinking. Trying to cram everything into one site when everything would function much better in a MultiSite with sub sites specializing in a certain aspect and then combining them to appear to be one site in the main site using links etc. to direct to the applicable sub sites.

Even Google themselves design services to be separate by using sub domains.

But I want you to make that decision for me! Or at least point in me in the right direction.

I cannot make that decision for you because I do not know your skill levels with not only WordPress but php coding in itself.

Therefore without intimate knowledge of your skill levels or ability/time to learn new ones, it presents an almost impossible situation to advise upon.

The thing is, this is a major huge site. It's not just a directory, it is also news publishing in several cities. So if I am assigning certain roles to business owners, could they not conceivably be getting access to be contributing writers, publishers of articles as well?

Even Google as I mentioned before has different sub domains for different things and they have all the money in the world to be throwing at coders to code what they want done unlike most of us.

The flip side would be to have one staff person per city be responsible to creating the listings, however this would add to our costs. As a compromise, I'd like to allow business owners to post their listing, have it held in queue for moderation so that a staff person can verify that it is indeed a local company.

This would certainly require custom coding though we could put it into a feature request but depending on your timeline this may take way longer then preferred and no guarantee that it will happen at all.

Alternatively, you could see if there's a developer available at wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute.

In conclusion, you are correct that this is/could be a massive project which I only anticipate the costs contained with careful balancing of out of the box solutions, custom coding solutions, and innovative thinking.

In closing I once more want to apologize for the massive delay in your receiving a reply to your ticket.

Sincerely, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.