Directory Categories

The Directory plugin uses it's own categories, which is separate from Wordpress' built-in categories.

I would like to add listings to my existing categories, instead of creating a new set of categories.

Using CustomPress, I am able to specify that the Directory listings should support regular categories. Perfect!

However, this does not seem to work. When I view a listing on the website, it says:
"This entry was posted in listingcategory1, listingcategory2, etc."
(It will list the Directory categories the listing is posted in. It will not list any of the Wordpress categories).

How can I add my listings to the default Wordpress categories?

Thanks!!

• targetdir
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

To add to my post, I am using the Subdomains plugin (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/subdomains/) which allows you to setup your Wordpress categories as subdomains.

For example, my category titled, "Food" can be access at food.mysite.com.
    It works quite well.

I would like to create a directory listing (soup, pizza, pasta, etc) and add it to the "Food" category which would then be accessible at food.mysite.com. However, the Directory plugin doesn't use Wordpress's built in categories..so this isn't working.

Please let me know how I can add listings to Wordpress's regular categories...

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

targetdir, Hi there!

If you go into CustomPress and open the custom post type for directory_listing you will see a box entitled Support Regular Taxonomies.

You will want to check categories here in order to use your wp categories with your directory listings :slight_smile:

I'll attach a pic.

Best,

Kimberly

If the above action did not result in the resolution or common end to this ticket then please feel free to come back here for comment. Just be sure you mark "Not Resolved" to re-open or we might miss it! :slight_smile: Thanks!

• targetdir
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hello,

This is not working. Please see attachment which shows the following:
    1) Enable regular categories (as per your instructions).
    2) Create a new directory listing, and add it to the directory category and the regular wordpress category.
    3) View the new listing. When you look at "posted in", it shows on the directory categories, but does not show any wordpress categories. For some reason the listing is not being added to the wordpress categories?

Please see attachment..

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

targetdir,

Great, Thanks for including your screenshots!

I see that the post does get saved to the WP Category, but it doesn't display.

I created a post and selected a WP category and Listings Category. The published listing shows the same as yours, showing only the listing category, but the Post itself if categorized in the wp category.

Can I ask why you are trying to use both? Just trying to figure out if this is something that should be penned as a feature request or a feedback issue. The reason for Listing Categories is so that you have Categoires specific to the Directory and don't have to mix/share blog Categories. This is what allows the Directory to function as it's own linked system of posts, categories and tags.

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

targetdir,

I've been in touch with the developer and he is in the process of rewriting this plugin.

It needs better functionality and we hope to provide that with the new release coming very soon. This will be addressed along with many other issues.

I will mark this as a feature request and notify him to ensure it is on his radar :slight_smile:

Best,

Kimberly

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

I've asked and they will not give one. As it is being worked on we are creating functionality with some of our other plugins to make sure that everything works together.

Sorry, I wish I could offer more, but if something does not work out we don't want to dissapoint

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.