Directory categories with map

Hi

I have a page ready to go here:

http://tradr.com/business/

- The categories look average
- The map only shows the last directory listing.

Using the following shortcode:

[map query="post_type=directory_listing" overlay="true" zoom="2" show_images="false" show_markers="true" show_posts="true"]

[dr_list_categories style="grid"]

[dr_add_listing_btn text="Add Listing" view="always"]

Happy to give points to make this look better and get the map more functional !

Cheers,

Johnny

• Brian Purkiss

It's working now.

As for some recommendations...

• Add some space between the map and the listings. I'd recommend using the same amount of space that is above and to either side of the map.
    • Give the space inbetween the listings the same amount of space inbetween them that's above and to either side of the map. That'll make everything real sharp. But the spacing has to be exactly the same, or it'll look sloppy.
    • Space out the listings boxes so they are full width. I'd recommend increasing the width of the boxes to accomplish that, give their content more space.
    • I'd make the link text of the sub categories line up with the grey title boxes
    • Possibly make the space inside the grey boxes that's inbetween the titles and the box edge the same that's inbetween the grey box and the outer box. And then give the same spacing or half spacing (not sure wich without seeing it) the same as previously mentioned space. That'll make everything appear exact/deliberate.
    • Fix whatever's going on where some of the spot where a listing should be is blank
    • Do what you can to make sure all categories have something in them. Possibly even hide empty categories or add test saying something like "No listings in this category yet, add your own!" with a link
    • I would recommend possibly a darker blue or possibly bolded text for the category titles. Make them stand out more from the listings. It'd also make that page more scannable/useable
    • Make the (2) where it shows however many listings there are in that category a medium grey. Right now the black makes that more eye catching than the sub category, which is more important. Making those numbers a grey will make the sub categories stand out more, make the page more scannable, and make it less busy.
    • The please login to add your free listing button isn't very prevalent, yet is important. Possibly make it a full width button? example
    • I don't know if it's possible, but it'd be cool if it was. All boxes edges are rounded. If you could round the corners of the map the same as all the other boxes, it'd add some consistency

Hope those ideas help!

• johnnymestizo

@Brian

Add some space between the map and the listings. I'd recommend using the same amount of space that is above and to either side of the map. DONE

Give the space inbetween the listings the same amount of space inbetween them that's above and to either side of the map. That'll make everything real sharp. But the spacing has to be exactly the same, or it'll look sloppy. DONE

Space out the listings boxes so they are full width. I'd recommend increasing the width of the boxes to accomplish that, give their content more space. DONE

Thanks !

• johnnymestizo

I'd make the link text of the sub categories line up with the grey title boxes. DONE

Make the (2) where it shows however many listings there are in that category a medium grey. Right now the black makes that more eye catching than the sub category, which is more important. Making those numbers a grey will make the sub categories stand out more, make the page more scannable, and make it less busy. DONE

I would recommend possibly a darker blue or possibly bolded text for the category titles. Make them stand out more from the listings. It'd also make that page more scannable/useable DONE with the Tradr colour scheme

Fix whatever's going on where some of the spot where a listing should be is blank See below

Do what you can to make sure all categories have something in them. Possibly even hide empty categories or add test saying something like "No listings in this category yet, add your own!" with a link See below

Getting heaps of test listings made, one for each category and one for each country (for google maps integration). This will fix the whole empty category boxes (until we have google maps location filtering active!).

The please login to add your free listing button isn't very prevalent, yet is important. Possibly make it a full width button? Working on it!

Thanks for the testing @Brian. Let me know if there are any things you hate with the UX now! 50 points for your troubles!

If you are keen to critique every nook and cranny of the site please do !

http://tradr.com/groups/requests-and-feedback/forum/

Cheers,

Johnny

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.