Directory Plugin Multiple Themes - A Tutorial

I stumbled across how to add multiple themes for the Directory Plugin. This example clones the default Directory theme, allowing you to customize the new theme to your heart's content. It's quite fun, so follow along:

1. Go to wp-content/plugins/directory/themes directory
2. Copy/paste the default folder (because "default" is the theme folder)
3. Rename the default copy to newtheme and edit it's style.css
4. Change the first line, Theme Name: Directory Theme to Theme Name: Directory My Theme (save)
5. Go to your WP Network Admin --> Sites --> Your Site --> Edit, click on the Themes tab and enable Directory My Theme

Now, when you go to your sites admin panel (the site you have your directory on), it will look like the screen shot attached to this post.

The Directory plugin is quite robust. There are lots of cool things you can do with it. Best of all, you can customize it, just like any other theme.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi eyecool,

That was mighty nice of you, thank you for the share! There's been lots of folks around here asking about Directory theme customizations and this provides another very simply way to accomplish that! Had to give you some rep points for that one. :slight_smile:

• lorilr
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks for the tip. Any idea if this works for the latest version of directory?

I've tried it and can't get it to work.

I'm using the directory plugin on a sub-site.

When I go to WP Network Admin --> Sites --> Your Site --> Edit and click on the Themes tab, my new theme directory isn't listed.

when I go to the directory site dashboard, I don't see the new theme either.

thanks
    Lori

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Lori,

eyecool's method should work for the latest version as well. While things have changed up quite a bit, the theme should still be usable in much the same way as with previous versions.

That said, I believe Directory's still designed to be used strictly on the main site in a multisite network, so I think that's why the theme wouldn't show on a sub-site.

You might be able to copy the theme to its own directory in wp-content/themes/. It's just not something I've tried yet myself.

Cheers,
    David

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

Thanks for posting in this thread, however it might be best if you open your own, even if the issues seem closely related. That way it will remain independent of this one and ensure it doesn't confuse issues here if this thread needs reopening again by the author.

It also means the member who started this thread or anyone following it isn't inundated with post notifications each time we respond to each other. A lengthy thread could annoy the original

This also allows us to better track and answer your questions to ensure we don't miss any for ya.

You can start a new thread here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/qanda/

Also, Directory can be installed on any site in a network install.

Membership can be defined to use global tables for membership, this would also be best suited to a separate thread.

Thanks.

• cry1978
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I figured it out in like 10 seconds, copy and paste the directory theme over to the regular themes, but in order to see it appear in a sub site admin themes section, you have to go to

network admin dashboard, go to pro sites, then themes and select a pro site level for the new theme that you have just dropped into the themes folder.

Now, if you go to your sub site themes, it will magically appear and you can now have that theme.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @cry1978,

Thanks for posting on this. Glad you found it easy. Please feel free to post similar guides regarding your experiences with products here.

We love to see those sorts of things and they generally earn a few rep points. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.